Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2020

This website renders every single road within a city

And only the roads, with no labels. (And it will export as a PNG or a raster SVG.)

It has worked for every city I've tried, from the town I lived in in Missouri with less than 200 people to the city of Los Angeles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

This is AWESOME. Didn't work so well for Hobart, Australia, or Venice Italy, which was a little disappointing, but I will show you a CC3+ map of Athens soon. Thanks so much for pointing me this way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

That's a cool tool. Could be really helpful for anyone using real world cities in their games, or anyone just wanting to use it as inspiration for believable modern cities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Or even medieval cities if using European cities. Here is Athens (with the sea imagined).
      Athens Road Map.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Impressive.

Could this become a sister CA issue to the January one...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Not necessary - just use the svg to dxf converter, and insert into CC3+.
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc

It apparently works (sort of) for entire countries, too (if you're patient and the servers aren't too busy). I just pulled up a map of every road in Zimbabwe, and Ireland.
    I can see the map but I can't save it. I'm using Edge. Should I use a different browser?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2020

Hmmm... Edge should work, but I used the newest Firefox.
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2020

I can confirm that downloads don't work in Edge for me, either, even with the pop-up blocker turned on. Worked fine in Chrome, though.
    Worked with Firefox. Thanks. I am a bit curious as to how I can scale the map.
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2020

The SVG export is vectored. It should scale infinitely.
    I was asking how one can interpret the scale of the map produced. (feet, meters, miles, kilometers, etc.) There is no scale bar to reference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

It's based on actual map data (from OpenStreetMap in this case), so you should be to just find some recognizable points and do a measure on the real map.
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc

That's a workaround, but yeah, Google maps has a "measure distance" tool.