CA2019_Setup.zip too large to download

I want to update my documentation files to include the index for the 2019 Cartographer's Annuals but the only way to do this seems to be to download the CA2019_Setup.zip file, unzip it and run the setup program. Unfortunately every time I try to download it fails before it completes. Since I've already installed every issue of last year's Annual individually (something I suppose most subscribers have done), couldn't you provide a compact download that assumes this and only updates the documentation?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited January 2020
    I think there's more to it than a few updated documents. I can think of the wall symbols for the Isometric Town issue to start with, and a couple of other things as well.

Do you have Download Manager? I used to have all kinds of trouble before I got it, but now (and even though I am on mobile broadband, which is notorious for suddenly cutting off in bad weather and when their are too many people using their phones in town) I haven't had a problem since I installed it.

I probably shouldn't advertise other software on this forum, or advertise any particular one when there are probably several, but this is the one I use. Totally reliable - never once let me down.

https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

There's a 30 day free trial. If you don't want it for anything other than this you can have it for free. I think the price of a lifetime licence for one machine is now £19, or $24. Not bad for a tool that never fails.

Here is the control panel where I've just started downloading the very same file. As you can see there is a resume capability (saved my life a couple of times), and it makes use of all the processors - downloading the file in a fraction of the time it would take if you just did a straight download through your browser. Downloads of this size would have taken me about 4 hours before I got it. That makes sense, since its now using 8 connections instead of just the one. It says it will take about an hour, but that's understandable because I'm using a 3D modelling suite in the background, so the processors are busy multitasking that with the download. This, however, never seems to cause any problems.
  • It's more that I object to downloading the same data twice than size of the file itself. Unless there have been significant changes to every Annual I've already installed why am I wasting my time downloading, decompressing and installing identical material? It just seems so inefficient!
    I have no idea how many or how few the updates really are, but if you really only want the documentation then maybe ask Profantasy directly?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    That's actually something I hadn't thought about - we can certainly provide the HMTL index page separately for those who already downloaded all the issues. I'll make this available next week.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    I download and didnt remember annuals were so heavy. 5 GBs, wow :D
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Actually, was checking. Other annuals are about 500 Mgs space... what´s up with 2019 Annual?
    Ummm.

That was my fault.

Sorry!

I did 3 of the issues, and all 3 of them were around a GB.
  • Hey, stop the blame game. There have been some big issues here, and well worth it they are. But other annuals have had the same thing eg High Space issues.
    And there are always some little corrections, but if you have kept the setup files in a separate folder like I have (and which you should do in case you need to start from scratch again), then of course you can use the individual setup files.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    I deleted the individual setups are they usually take up more space hehe.

Im sure it will be solved soon.
  • edited January 2020
    It would be nice if the date of actualisation could be seen in the downloads.
    I downloaded the 2018 Annual today (again) and discovered that the file size had changed since my last download.
    So my conclusion was that the file had been updated meanwhile...
    ...and did a re-install.
    When trying to install the 2019 Annual afterwards I got an error message that told me that my CC3+ version was to old for the install - though I had installed the update 24 earlier.
    So the Annual 2018 install seems to replace some newer files...
    A new update 24 install was needed before the installation of Annual 2019 worked.
  • I move the setup files off to an external hard drive. Like I do my entire web site files, and all maps in my CC3+ folders.

Got bit some years ago at university not having a backup file for a 5 page paper I had done. Floppy died, and my 're-typing from memory' only got me a C. Sigh.

So I have plenty of backups. On my USB external drives I have folders with the date on them, and in that are downloads, maps, etc.
    Andre - that's interesting. Thanks for sharing the info. It will probably help someone else in the future.