Map views Dissapearing

Hi, I have been having a big problem with map views, sometimes, when I use the Zoom extents function to see the whole map, the window just just zooms to a corner and I can't find my map at all, I have tried the last view function, but no luck. this is not something that happens all the time though which I find kinda odd.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It sounds like you have a sheet with something on it that is way outside the normal map area.

Try showing one sheet at a time and zooming extents to identify which one is causing the problem. Most sheets will zoom ok, but there will be one that gives you this nothingness.

Then with that sheet visible zoom extents and pretend to carry out some action. I usually use delete, but *don't* pick do it. Its just so that you have a reason to select everything in a big selection box that takes in the whole visible window. With any luck you will find whatever it is by the pink highlighting. There will be one heck of a concentration of pink boxes on one side/corner, and just one on its own in the opposite side/corner. That's if its a symbol.

If its a polygon with a rogue data point you should be able to scroll in enough to cancel the delete operation and use delete node to get rid of it.

To check and see that you have solved the problem try zoom extents again.
    If you just can't seem to shake out the problem you can upload the FCW here, either public or by whisper and we can have a look and see if we can get it for you :)
  • :) thanks I'll try that later, for the record I'm using cosmographer and the ship deckplan template, custom (smaller) size though, but it has happened with other maps before.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If the zoom is completely out of whack, the best way to find your map again is to use View --> Zooms --> To All Text, then pick an entry from the dialog that appears. This only works if there is some text somewhere in your map though, but there usually is, such as on the scale bar.
  • :) thanks, I don't usually use text though, however by hiding the Map border layer, and using extents view, it zoomed back right on it, so I'm sorted, thank you both..
    Not really all that sorted, since you will presumably have to unhide the MAP BORDER layer eventually. It's an integral part of defining the export area.

Though I was talking about sheets, not layers earlier, it may be as well to identify the problem now by hiding all layers except the MAP BORDER layer, zoom to extents, and see what it is that is stuck so many miles out from the map. You will have to get rid of it anyway if you want to get an export that isn't a vast great whiteness.