Changing imported files through editing map macros

Hi all,

here's a bit more of a technically oriented question from me. Once upon a time, there was an app that let users make these displays, based on those seen in the interiors of the newest generation subway cars in NYC. The app is long defunct now, but I had the notion of trying to recreate the image in CC3+ by importing it into the software and drawing over it, and found I should be able to do so fairly easily.

My question is, would anyone happen to know if there is a way to change an inserted external file through the editing of a map macro or something like that, so that the replacement is a 1:1 drop in, rather than having to mess about with the scale commands or anything of the sort? I was hoping that the "B" in each inserted image would line up precisely, and though the non-visual scale command could likely come very close, I would prefer to have it be as precise as possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It doesn't really matter what size you import it at.

You only need to make sure you export it at the right size - the same size as the original image.

You can do that using the Save as... Rectangular section PNG, (or jpg equivalent as preferred) and setting the options so that the pixel size exported is identical to the original image.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Only command I can think of right now is the REPLACEIMAGENAMESDWG command which replaces parts of file names across the drawing. (WARNING: Can only replace with the same number of characters or less, doesn't support replacing with a longer file name than the original.)
    But when using this command, the replacement picture is forced into the exact same dimensions as the old, so if the actual pixel size of the images aren't identical, the new image will be non-proportionally resized to fit.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think I must have completely misunderstood the question ;)
  • @Loopysue: The issue wasn't so much the export size as it is the ability to import both images at the same resolution, to be able to do a 1:1 recreation of the shape size and font size in relation to the rest of the image. The hope was for me to first import the orange circle B, and develop the bulk of the template based on that, but then to also import the yellow diamond B at the same precise proportions as the orange B, so that the shape and text would line up precisely in relation to the rest of the elements of the image.

@Monsen: That is PRECISELY what I was looking for. Thanks so much!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2020
    Great.

Note that you need to do a manually call to redraw after issuing this command.
    And be VERY careful about what I said above by only replacing with an equal name or shorter. This command isn't really intended for regular users, and don't have built-in safeguards, so trying with a longer name may corrupt the drawing.
    Also note that you only need to specify the parts of the filename/path you wish to replace, you don't need to type the entire thing (but it works on all images in the drawing, so make sure you don't accidentally change the file name of other image references, like the symbols).
  • Your warning has been received and noted. Thanks!