Fractal Mapper 8 - legit or knock off?

I just saw some fractal mapper 8.0 screenshots on a Dungeons and Dragons facebook group. Decided to go look at their site.

WOW, a lot of those maps look just like CC stuff, especially the globe stuff and fractal maps.
Is this program a rip off of CC, or is it a legit program that doesn't infringe on the Intellectual Properties of Campaign Cartographer?

I dislike that program on the grounds of how similar it is. Hopefully they did it legit and didn't rip off any of the code to create their program.

Comments

• I used to have Fractal Mapper 7. CC3+ is WAY more powerful. They’re not even close!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    As far as I know, FM8 is legit.

But Daisho is right - not a patch on CC3 ;)
  • I had FM8... I much prefer Profantasy's software.

FM has been around for a long time, but I couldn't get used to it. Well, I only tried for less than a month.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2020
    Both FM and CC fill a very similar segment, so I am sure both of them have been inspired by the other from time to time. CC is the older of the two (as far as I am aware anyway).

I haven't seen any of the codebase for FM, but just based on how the interaction works, I am quite confident in asserting that they haven't ripped off any CC code. The resulting maps can look somewhat similar, but the engine behind is wildly different.

FM is a nice program though. I prefer CC, but there are several things that are way easier to to do in FM. CC is much more powerful though, and comes with better artwork by default. (Although the free community resources (Dundjinni Archives, Bogie, Vintyri, CSUAC are also available for FM).

I have to admit that I am a bit curious how the upcoming FM9 will look, FM8 is getting a bit old by now.
  • Thanks for your viewpoints people. I am a huge endorser of legit copies of CC3+ so am looking out for it where I can.

I always encourage people to purchase full copies instead of pirating it. (Sidenote I am so thankful that I decided to purchase the disc copy option as well, before it was discontinued.)