Terrain Default, Forest Mixed and Cities

Hi everyone! I picked up CC3 last year, but didn't use it much until recently, when I decided I needed CD3, which I picked up today.

I have built a small village, with some roads, buildings, etc., thanks to CD3. However, I am trying to ring the map with the filled drawing tool "Terrain Default, Forest Mixed" - basically to create a thick mass of trees around the edge of the map, en masse. I have absolutely NO problems doing this when I fire up a new Overland Map, but when I attempt to use this drawing fill with the City map type, I get a green-filled poly, with some trees around the fringe. When I UNDO the action, it seems to be removing several layers of output - the treeline vanishes first, leaving just the green poly, which is the last to go. It seems that the sequence in which the assets are being laid down is reversed: the base green poly is being laid down last, and on top of the tree assets.

Is this kind of activity even possible? I'm still a bit hazy about the representations of all of the assets, although I did compare the ADVANCED settings for the fill between the overland and city map types (the "can do it" and "cannot do it") and they were 99% similiar (that 1% being the "Use Fill Style" setting which does not have the same options available in the pulldown between overland and city maps).

Thanks!
Chris

Comments

• Typical...as soon as I hit the post button, I try something different.

On the City map, I noticed that the FILL STYLE indicator in the extreme upper right corner of the editor was set to SOLID, and the pattern was GREEN . When I clicked the FS box to open the fill style dialog, I selected HOLLOW (Brush Patterns tab), and was able to paint the fill on the map.

Even though this works, it doesn't seem to me that it's the optimal solution. The fill style is still being painted over the trees (which I would consider to be the ACTUAL fill).
  • edited May 2009
    Hi, it's me again. Sorry about this stream of consciousness, but I'm finding results...just not sure what to make of them.

OK...Hiding the LAND FEATURES sheet removed the top level of solid green, and my trees are there. However, in the OVERLAND map design, this solid green is actually BENEATH the trees. I tried re-ordering the sheets on the sheet control panel, but that didn't do anything.

I went back to the manual, and paid close attention to Page 35, which tells how to select by fill. When I followed that example, I was able to separate the green solid from the trees.

OK. I figured out the issue (sort of):

When layout out the poly, the trees are placed on the SYMBOLS sheet, but the solid green is placed on the LAND FEATURES sheet. The LF sheet is at the ABSOLUTE BOTTOM of the sheet listing which, apparently, is the TOP MOST DISPLAYED sheet. The SYMBOLS sheet, which is about 7 sheets up in the list, is LOWER on the hierarchy. Moving the LF sheet ABOVE the SYMBOLS sheet puts the solid green BENEATH the trees on the design surface!

So...the question is: why does the CITY designer place the LAND FEATURES at the bottom of the sheet listing (which places the solid on top of the symbols), while the OVERLAND MAP places the LAND FEATURES above the SYMBOLS sheet in the sheet listing (which places the solid beneath the symbols)?

I suppose I can just re-order my City LAND FEATURES sheet to where it is in the Overland style, but is this a bug, a feature, or something I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks for reading! Great product, though. I'm enjoying it!
  • edited May 2009
    Posted By: ScopiqueSo...the question is: why does the CITY designer place the LAND FEATURES at the bottom of the sheet listing (which places the solid on top of the symbols), while the OVERLAND MAP places the LAND FEATURES above the SYMBOLS sheet in the sheet listing (which places the solid beneath the symbols)?
    Sometimes a tool will have to create a new sheet that is not included in the template.

New sheets are always on the bottom and must be moved "manually"

That's probably what is happening to you.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yes, if a sheet turns up at the very bottom of the sheet list, it's probably just been created by the drawing tool. Not all templates contain every kind of sheet. For example city templates will normally not have a LAND FEATURES sheet.
  • That makes sense. Thanks for the info!