Pixilated fcws?

So it's the end of my Christmas Crafting season. Christmas has come and gone, gifts are exchanged, decorations taken down, and it's time for me to get back into some of my other projects... one of them being my mapping and working on my Goddess of Light campaign, and/or restarting my Laerysia campaign.

As some of you may know, I lost almost everything in an external hard drive crash some months back. I was holding off to see if anything was recoverable, but unfortunately, there was actually nothing left on the hard drive that crashed. The only thing I had left of these campaigns I was working on, was anything that I put on line, or never got moved to the hard drive, which wasn't much. That took the wind out of my sales for a bit.

Fortunately, one of the things I still had, was the original FTW that I used to create Ganocia, the world for my Goddess of Light campaign, and the finished maps that I had posted online. So I'd been working to get that map back up to where I had it before the crash. But then I had to put it away for the Christmas crafting season.

So I started looking at it last night, with the idea of starting to work on it again.... when I encountered something I have never seen when working with fcws. I loaded up my world map, and zoomed in to take a look at some different regions, to refresh my memory a bit… and when I zoomed in, my fcw started pixilating! fcws don't pixilate. At least, as far as I know, they aren't supposed to! I've taken some screen shots to show what I'm seeing. Has anyone else had this problem? More importantly, does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Check the Display Speed Settings image.

Generally, it should be set to Automatic - High, but you can also use the manual options to override if things doesn't seem right.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2020
    hmm. Disregard my above comment for this map. While that is generally the problem, I just noticed you had attached the .fcw.
    And opening that, I found that your map is basically just an inserted image on the TRACE sheet. I assume you inserted a low quality map to trace it and make a better one. Deleting this trace image shows that your map contains some landmasses, but no details beyond that.
    So, the pixellation was just the trace image reaching the end of it's resolution.
  • duh... omg I can't believe I forgot that! That's right...I had a jpeg of my progress, and I was going to use it to put everything where it belonged on the new map, in the hopes of saving time. What I was going to try to do, was match everything up, and when I placed the symbols over what I had on the jpeg image, it would place it on the new map.

But because it had been months since I looked at it, I forgot about that. Thanks Remy!
  • Just don't look at my old maps... oh, wait, I took them off my Crestar site, and they were awful. Your maps are much better than mine.