Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Hey All,

I'm currently trying to create a series of battle maps/dungeon pieces that look like they are inside an iceberg. The idea is that the dungeon is the underground part of a fortress once part of a great glacier known as the River of Frozen Souls. The glacier has broken up into the Sea of Frozen Blades and is now drifting south.

Anyone got any advice, tips or ideas how to do this?

I've attached my best effort to date
      Iceberg.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2020 edited

I haven't tried mapping an actual floating iceberg, but I've attached an ice caves battle map I made, maybe it can serve as some kind of inspiration. These were supposed to be set inside a magical glacier. You'll notice that instead of drawing the rooms like you normally do, I've instead elected to draw the filled wall spaces instead, since I can then apply a bevel to these.

As for your current map, I would recommend changing some of the outside effect. Right now, it looks more like it hovers over the water rather than floating in it. What I would recommend is to draw the water on top of the iceberg, in a way so that the edges of the water overlap the bevel a little, and then using an edge fade on the water. This should look a bit more like it actually floats in the water. The image below show a quick crude example of what I am describing.
    Image1.jpg
    Thanks for the suggestions - I will give it a go. You must be using some fills or icons in that .fwc file that I don't have, its displaying XXXXX across the mapping area. Can you post a pic instead?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2020 edited

It uses fills and symbols from:
    Campaign Cartographer 3+
    Dungeon Designer 3
    Symbol Set 2: Fantasy Floorplans
    Dundjinni Archives

Here's a snippet of the map:
    Image12.jpg
    Thanks for that. I'm missing the Dundjinni Archives. That probably explains why it doesn't load correctly.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020 edited

I've made a few ice caves. Some of the fills i used were homemade or found free online or I'd share the .fcw with you, but maybe you can use these for inspiration....
      new ice cave small.png
      ice cave new.PNG
      Ice cavern Quest small.png
    Hi Loreli,

Those caves look really sweet. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to do. The cliffs look amazing. How did you achieve that? Is it some sort of bevel. How do you get the snow to look so, snow like? How did you achieve the cracks in the ice?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
    Loreli,

How'd you do those cracks? Those maps are amazing!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020

I think those particular cracks are symbols.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Yes, as Jim said, the cracks are actually symbols from the CSUAC2 i believe. The cliffs I used a Lighted Bevel effect. It took sometime and fiddling around to get the right look of the cave walls. I used multiple fills of white by doing a search through all my fills for "snow" "Ice" or "white" and used them on different sheets for a more layered snow effect. For mounds of snow use the Bevel Lighted effect and add a Smoothing effect, it makes lovely soft mounds of snow :)
    Thanks for the tips, I will go play and see what I can come up with. What is CSUAC2? I'm not familiar with that one.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Its a massive collection of free symbols and fills you can get on the Vintyri Project pages. The link to it is listed in the sticky thread at the top of the forum that advertises free assets, amongst other things ;)