New Mike Schley Symbol Set

Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
Mike Schley, who created the Dungeons of Schley and Cities of Schley symbol sets, will be creating a new symbol set for us. We have a bunch of ideas, but would love to hear what the community has to suggest. I think it will need to be fantasy-oriented, but other than that, there are no restrictions.

What do you think?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, there are several things I would like to see

- An expanded dungeon/floorplan set to supplement the symbols already in SS4 to add more variety. Whenever I do a dungeon (no matter the style), there always seems to be something missing. Perhaps a set of several themed "rooms", like the blacksmith's smithy, the cook's kitchen, the wizard's workroom, etc.
    - Underground cities, with buildings built into underground features, like the stalagmites of Menzoberranzan. Also other specialty cities, like an ice city, a fire city, and so on.
    - Local overland maps, with lots of specialized symbols for use in various terrain types, such as snow/ice, desert, mountains, fiery lava hellpits, and so on.
  • I agree with Remy about the need for more specific room contents/floorplan themes.

I'd also like to see floorplan-level takes on non-standard environments, like ice, volcanic, jungle/forest, etc. Elemental-planar, maybe? Bits that really show you're in a different place than what's been done before.

Also, undersea elements would be fantastic! Both floorplan and overland undersea could be very useful.

(I'm sure if I left this post open for awhile I could come up with a billion suggestions, so I'll just leave it at this and let other people type.) ;-)
  • I'd love to see expansions of the current sets. More terrain types and unique features for overland. More racial settings for cities (including the underground setting like Monsen mentioned).

Most of all I would like an expansion of the dungeon set. The lady of the manor gets tired of the same old carpets, beds and tables in every room of the house. :)
  • I second Remy's suggestions, but local overland maps is definitely something I would use as I often have to make maps that are but a few miles by a few miles (or less) and I find no styles or symbol set truly fit that.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Everyone else has already said it. I'm just adding my comment to show support, so you don't think we aren't interested in this :)
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited January 2020
    Posted By: ShessarI'd love to see expansions of the current sets. More terrain types and unique features for overland. More racial settings for cities (including the underground setting like Monsen mentioned).

Most of all I would like an expansion of the dungeon set. The lady of the manor gets tired of the same old carpets, beds and tables in every room of the house. :)
    Agree.

For me at least, would love to see more features, specially fantasy ones. Both in overland and in cities. Many fantasy worlds have such features and it would rock to see them done. I remember i had to made some for last of my maps (been a year without mapping, ... company and daugther, bad combo for freetime).
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Don't know as I have anything to add that hasn't already been said!
  • I would love all the above, but in particular, city wall symbols to use along with the buildings in his overland set, plus more buildings along the lines of the chateau, manse etc. They can be used to make wonderful perspective towns along the lines that Tony Crawford, and some of you others have done.
  • CA138 looks to have a nice set of City Ruins symbols, but I think there could be more. Not sure what though.
  • Will this be like your old Symbol Set 1 expansion? Or would this be apart of an annual?

I wouldn't mind a new overland style from Mike Schley that had a DeRust/Wielink color palette and art direction.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think the whole point of it being Mike Schley is that the style is Mike Schley. Or am I wrong?
  • I love everyone's suggestions. I, too, would like to see some more variety in symbols for SS4, mainly furniture (indoor and outdoor) variety and i'd love to see some more "ruined" items within the dungeon set.
  • Recently I created local map, city map and a tavern map in MS style and I think that the next Symbol Set should expand all the previous. Althought the maps looks great I had the following problems:
    In overland set:
    It would be great to add more diferent overland symbols such as obelisks, huts, ravines or other points of interest.
    It would be great to add one more forest temperate style, as to paint large forest map is really hard without variations(pines for example).
    In ss4 set:
    As it was written above, it realy need more furniture so inside as outside symbols(clothers wadrobes, bars etc).
    In ss5:
    I think it is the most compleete addon because it easyly expanded with free ones.I have just some problems in finding various flowerbeds

So I agree with prevous posts about the adding variations to te current ones.
  • I would like to see a terrain that complements the ruined building icons. In the same way you can lay down an area of fields and hedgerows it would be nice to do that with extensive overgrown ruins.
  • one of the things I would LOVE to see, is more 'blighted' symbols: we have a couple of dead tree symbols, but that's about it. For someone that wants to create cursed lands or dead lands it doesn't give us many options... and more terrain types... for like bogs and swamps and stuff.

Maybe some symbols for battle maps - siege engines, battering rams, siege towers. Wall options. Covered bridges/walkways for elven/dwarf/human cities. I would love to see a Schley city symbol set, if we don't already one... iso city pack.

those are just some things I've been thinking about.
  • 3 years later
  • Overgrown Jungle Ruins like from an Indiana Jones Movie or just ruins we see and find in Central and South America or in Asia for that matter.

Quenten