Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorGrimmric
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2020

Hi all
    I have used Watabou’s city generator before, but have felt that i would like to have it in CC3+ and now i found out that it is possible!
    Wow. A good way to start the new year.
    But i am stucked att Importing the Map into Campaign Cartographer 3+.
    It says:
    Now set the current sheet to IMPORT (done that. no problem), and then use Draw > Insert file to import the DXF file we saved earlier into the CC3+ drawing (no problem here.). You will probably only see a small dot on the cursor, but don’t worry (i see the dot). This is because the scale of the DXF file is off, but we will fix that in a second.
    Instead of manually re-scaling the import, just place it at location 0,0(this is where i dont get it to work. how do i place it at location 0,0?).

Any input are appreciated.

Kind regards
    Grimmric
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2020 edited

Either just click on that location (with the file to insert at your cursor) (This is typically the lower left corner of your map, you can watch the coordinate display in the upper left corner to verify [Make sure it is set to absolute and not relative coordinates]), or at the insert prompt, just type 0,0 and hit enter (Followed by Esc, since you only want to insert it once)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Annual 2020 is not showing up in my registration. I bought a Patreon thingy, and was told I would get the annual along with everyone else. Any reason it is not available to me yet?

I am so looking forward to it, as you can imagine.
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Quenten</cite>Annual 2020 is not showing up in my registration. I bought a Patreon thingy, and was told I would get the annual along with everyone else. Any reason it is not available to me yet?

I am so looking forward to it, as you can imagine.</blockquote>

Hey Quenten, I had to manually add the registration number to the downloads tab to get it to show up in my downloads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I am guessing these are added manually, so I am guessing Ralf will add these tomorrow (GMT), the first working day of the new year. If not, send him an email to remind him. I don't have access to it myself either yet.

Edit: As Autumn Getty said, if you have a serial, just register it through the user page.
    Monsen,

I'm having the same trouble as Grimmric. When I enter 0,0 in the bar at the bottom, nothing actually appears. Since the pdf said there might only be a dot at the location, I went ahead to the scale step, selecting prior. When selecting prior, the program seems to make a copy of where my cursor is hovering. According to the bar at the bottom, no entities are selected. When I press "do it" and then enter 400, I get a message that cc3 does not recognize the command.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

That worked - thanks Autumn Getty
    You're welcome, Quenten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I'll need to check that out when I get access to the annual myself, unless Ralf chimes in before then. Maybe there is an error in the instructions or something, but I can't tell right now.
    Thanks Monsen.

I just wanted to mention, also, that the pdf guide suggests multiplying meters to create an imperial map, but I discovered by accident on Watabou's site that if you click the scale bar it will change to yards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: Autumn GettyI just wanted to mention, also, that the pdf guide suggests multiplying meters to create an imperial map, but I discovered by accident on Watabou's site that if you click the scale bar it will change to yards.
    Still can't read the guide, so I don't know exactly what it says, but remember that CC3+ uses feet by default for imperial city maps, so just switching to yards don't help that much, you still have to multiply the distance by 3 to get to feet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I get as far as Autumn did, get the dot to appear at 0,0. then left click - and it disappears. I repeat, and right click, and it disappears. I check using the Delete button to make sure). I then check the whole place and click thing, and it works as it should with any other symbol, polygon fill and draw tool. Just the dxf file I converted using the CloudConvert. I have repeated the process with different cities and their dfx, yet still cannot get the thing to insert, even though it clearly show up on my cursor, and when I press insert at 0,0; and when I just enlarge it using the control button. So it definitely gets to my cursor, it just won't place - hence all the subsequent steps do not happen, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2020

Do you hit return ater typing 0,0? After choosing File > Insert and choosing the dxf file, you should see "Place (...):" at the command line. You should enter 0,0 and then hit return to place the import.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Sure do
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2020 edited

Ah, the layer "0" is hidden and frozen in the template (and actually still contains some entities). I'll be uploading a fixed setup shortly, in the meantime, use the attached template. Or show and thaw the 0 layer and delete everything on it.

EDIT: Fixed setup is online.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thank you so much for sorting this out for us, Ralf!

You're a champion :)
    • CommentAuthorGrimmric

Now it works. Thank you very much!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Yes, it works
    • CommentAuthorGrimmric

I am trying this out by following the pdf and one thing i found out was that to follow it you have to output the map from Watabou in colour.
    I had it in default and then the colour numbers were wrong. It might be basic, but that was one thing i noticed.

Then i cant find the tool "Change Like Draw tool". Is it the same tool as "Change properties"?
    If not, then maybe you could point me in the right direction. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: GrimmricThen i cant find the tool "Change Like Draw tool". Is it the same tool as "Change properties"?
    No, but you find it by right clicking change properties.
    • CommentAuthorGrimmric

Thank you Monsen. So i learned another thing today.
    Not a day wasted. :)
    Now it starts to look like a map.
    Well, it's worked like a charm for me... until it didn't. I got all the way up to my first "Change like draw tool," but when I try to use it on the river in my drawing I get the "busy" cursor. Just to see what would happen, I've left it spinning for a good 30 minutes now, and it's still busy... Could be I'm overtaxing my poor system, but if there are other possible reasons I'd love to hear them as I really like the city I've generated.
    Nevermind! It finally transformed, so it seems it was a matter of an overtaxed system after all.
    • CommentAuthorkevbeck43

Every year this comes out at a time where I am broke. I will have to wait for three weeks to get it! LOL. I'm hoping the January annual will make it easier for me to import these maps. I have my own way of doing this now but if we can fully integrate these maps in a way that is easier than what I do I would love to see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2020 edited

This took me ~3 hours form the downloaded Watabou City, to the final product - and that's because I made a few errors.

It is in honour of Ralf, who gave us this wonderful tool - I will make MIGHTY use of it. Thanks you so so much'!
      Ralville - watabou.png
      Ralville small.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2020

I just love this style! And the perfect irony is that I haven't got time right now! LOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2020 edited

And now I am experimenting with large cities - this one has 2556 buildings, but so far the CC3+ file is 305 kb, whereas the DXF file was 2.95 MB. Obviously more to be done, but it has reached the 'lock-up' stage, ie, finished with the conversion.
      Flomery (2556).png
      Flomery.PNG
    What default options do I use to generate a large Watabou city like the Flomery map above? The ones I've generated so far seem a bit small.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

This was just done by clicking on the large city button. If you press space bar, it will give you the number of buildings.
    The settings for export as a SVG are as follows:
    Style: Palette - color only.
    Annotations - compass only
    Thin lines should be checked
    Buildings: You MUST select No Stroke. I also like Tight, No triangles and Complex
    Towers - whatever you like - I chose round for this map.
    Water - uncheck everything
    Layout: Choose anything except Elevation and random.

Hope this helps.

Tomorrow, I will see how I go with a superlarge city (set size to 199 in this line, where 1=on. 0=off) You can also set number of gates.
    Here is the setting I used for this monster:http://fantasycities.watabou.ru/?size=199&seed=1674640740&hub=1&random=0&name=Jhel&citadel=1&plaza=1&temple=1&walls=1&shantytown=1&river=1&coast=1&gates=6. You can delete the name bit if you want it random
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Here is my megacity to get into CC3+ tomorrow - 119,825 buildings - pop~ 1,000,000! (allowing for multistorey buildings)
      Thour (119825).png
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc

How do you get something larger than large? I'm not seeing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Just go to the URL Quenten posted above and mess with the parameters in the URL itself instead of relying on the buttons.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: Maidhc O CasainWell, it's worked like a charm for me... until it didn't. I got all the way up to my first "Change like draw tool," but when I try to use it on the river in my drawing I get the "busy" cursor. Just to see what would happen, I've left it spinning for a good 30 minutes now, and it's still busy... Could be I'm overtaxing my poor system, but if there are other possible reasons I'd love to hear them as I really like the city I've generated.

Giving my little 1.6 GHz computer a hard time to. 8 gigs of ram, so that can't be it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I may be tempted to just change the fill styles... or will that create problems later on in the map ?
    You've done some great work with this, Quenten. Very nice job on the completed cities.
    • CommentAuthorseycyrus

OK, I'm more at a loss than usual.

Where is this Watabou Cities things coming from and where is it going? I know it's a cool website with a city generator, but what is it to CC3+?

I have a patron license as well, but can't figure out where to find the serial number so that I can add it to my downloads page ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Watabou City Generator is a completely separate programme from ProFantasy, but it is very commonly used. Only the Annual giving the technique for translating it into CC3+ is from ProFantasy.
    In case you haven't got it, here is the website: https://watabou.itch.io/medieval-fantasy-city-generator
    You will also need a SVG to DXF converter - here is the one I use, recommended by Ralf.
    https://cloudconvert.com/svg-to-dxf

Frankly, this annual is worth it just for this issue alone, IMO.
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc

Posted By: Quenten

Frankly, this annual is worth it just for this issue alone, IMO.

And we still haven't gotten to Sue's next mapping style, which I'm looking forward to even more.
    • CommentAuthorseycyrus

Posted By: Quenten... Only the Annual giving the technique for translating it into CC3+ is from ProFantasy.

As in your case,earlier, I don't see the annual offered in my downloads area. I don't understand how to implement the solution that was offered to you either. Where do I get the serial number to enter into the field to "add a product"?

Thank you for your time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I am not sure - i have a Patreon account. Best send a tech Q to Ralf.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2020

Posted By: seycyrusOK, I'm more at a loss than usual.

Where is this Watabou Cities things coming from and where is it going? I know it's a cool website with a city generator, but what is it to CC3+?

I have a patron license as well, but can't figure out where to find the serial number so that I can add it to my downloads page ...

Ralf is the person to contact.
    Posted By: QuentenTomorrow, I will see how I go with a superlarge city (set size to 199 in this line, where 1=on. 0=off) You can also set number of gates.
    Here is the setting I used for this monster:http://fantasycities.watabou.ru/?size=199&seed=1674640740&hub=1&random=0&name=Jhel&citadel=1&plaza=1&temple=1&walls=1&shantytown=1&river=1&coast=1&gates=6. You can delete the name bit if you want it random

Can I delete the seed number too if I want to generate a new one? If I save the seed (how do I do this?) and reuse it will I generate the same map?
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc

Posted By: seycyrus
    As in your case,earlier, I don't see the annual offered in my downloads area. I don't understand how to implement the solution that was offered to you either. Where do I get the serial number to enter into the field to "add a product"?

I was so excited about the new annual I managed to mistype my email address when I placed the order, so I never got the confirmation email with the serial number. Ralf had me all fixed up by the next morning, which is the level of service we all expect. He'll take care of you.
    • CommentAuthorseycyrus

Posted By: taustinoc... which is the level of service we all expect. He'll take care of you

I'm already taken care of, mere minutes after I sent out my email!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I can't believe I didn't notice the names on that map, four maps ago!

LOL!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: LoopysueI can't believe I didn't notice the names on that map, four maps ago!

LOL!

Yeah, you have to watch Quenten on naming places in maps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2020 edited

Posted By: JimP
    Posted By: LoopysueI can't believe I didn't notice the names on that map, four maps ago!

LOL!

Yeah, you have to watch Quenten on naming places in maps.

Sue and Jim are now targeted on a continental scale. My naming practices are perfectly innocuous. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is unintentional and purely a coincidence!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Posted By: DaltonSpence
    Posted By: QuentenTomorrow, I will see how I go with a superlarge city (set size to 199 in this line, where 1=on. 0=off) You can also set number of gates.

Can I delete the seed number too if I want to generate a new one? If I save the seed (how do I do this?) and reuse it will I generate the same map?

Yes you can - put in whatever number you want for the seed (or delete it altogether from &seed to the next '&'), change the 1's to 0's if you don't want that feature, add your own name or delete &name=Jhel for random names. You will have to add &gates= each time if you need a certain number of gates, as it disappears from the address line after the map is generated. Experiment, and you will get the idea. To save the seed, the best way is to either write it down or save that address somewhere. It will generate the same map unless you change any of the other parameters - especially the size one.
    I copied and pasted the above link (just to test it) and the map seems to be taking a long time to generate. While I'm waiting I'd like to ask; is there is any documentation for this site explaining about the parameters so I can write up a local form page to generate a map? (I'd like to use checkboxes for the binary parameters but since the parameter value is only sent if the box is checked I need to know what the default values would be.)

Dalton “still waiting for the map to generate” Spence

•  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2020 edited

This is the final version of Ralville , and I will get Monsen to put it in the Atlas somewhere as yet to be decided.
      Ralville small2.png