Land Mass Doesn't Fill

I'm sorry if this is a question that has been answered, but I'm not certain what criteria to search for.

I'm using the Mike Schley inks settings to create a black and white map, but creating a land-mass (fractal) makes a hollow land mass. I can't get it to fill either with a color or with a pattern. When I select Fill Style, the line fill changes, not the interior of the fractal shape.

This is a problem because I want a patterned background to indicate a lower altitude beneath the fractal land mass. I can't do this however, because the land mass is hollow.

Is there a way to fill in the land-mass, or is there a limitation to the Mike Schley inks settings that prevents this?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    When you say you want to fill the landmass, what is it that you are hoping to achieve?

You see... if you fill the landmass with anything other than white, the white parts of the overlying symbols when you start to paste them will show up as white patches, and look really odd.

The white parts of each symbol are normally invisible against the white background, and serve an important function in covering bits of symbols that might otherwise be visible below them.

There is a way of colouring a map done in this style, but it involves putting all the colours and textures on top of everything else and using a Blend Mode sheet effect set to Multiply.

The other option is to use a style that isn't intended to be black and white, like the very similar Mike Schley Overland style, which you will find immediately below the inks style in the list of those available when you start a new map.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If you still want to change the fill of the land for a particular effect, then its possible that you may need to import fills from other styles, since I don't think the Inks style has any coloured fills in the first place.

You can do this by creating a new map in the Mike Schley Overland style, saving and closing it, then by using Draw->Insert file *pretend* to import it to your Inks style map. By that I mean abort the import by right-clicking once you are just about to paste it. This will import all the colour fills to your black and white map. You can then pick them from the drop down box in the change properties option dialog.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Jador13When I select Fill Style, the line fill changes, not the interior of the fractal shape.
    This is standard behaviour for any polygon using a wide outline. In CC3+, when the line width is greater than 0 for any given polygon, the shape will be hollow, with an outline width determined by the line width setting, and the fill chosen will apply to this outline. If the line width is 0, then the polygon will appear as a filled shape, completely filled with whatever fill style you choose.

Drawing tools that draws entities with both a wide outline and a fill actually draw two separate entities, but since the Ink style isn't indented to be filled as Sue pointed out, it doesn't do this.