Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2019 edited

I did a thing... Well, a practice thing...

To better understand the overland mapping that CC3+ does, I took the map that Shelly Shapiro made for the LoTR book(s) and copied it (a bit loosely). I used the Schley style for this purpose.

It is a good exercise and I did learn quite a bit. :D Overland maps are not terribly quick to put together and do require a bit of thought ahead of time. :D

Enjoy!

Jon

• CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2019

Looks like you made a reasonable job of it Jon :)

The only thing that catches my eye just a bit is the thickness of the rivers, but that is easily remedied.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2019 edited

Thanks Sue! The original map has a lot of taper, etc., in the rivers. Can that be echoed w/o using the fractal tool, or will they be stuck at essentially one thickness as they are just a simple poly line? Illustrator can vary the outline that way, just not sure if CC3+ can do so...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2019

CC3+ cannot have varying width on simple lines, to do that, you would need to use a polygon (which is way more work). But the common way to handle in CC3+ is to use the Split tool to divide the lines into segments, and then subtly change the size. As long as the change is subtle, the actual split point won't be noticeable, but it gives a good overall effect.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2019

Thanks Remy. :)