Floor plot points limit

So I have an original cave map that I am recreating that is pretty sizable.

I made a layer and plotted all of the points of the map by drawing small filled circles. Then I went back with a floor tool for caves and followed the plots that I had created. The goal here was to get it all done with a single section of floor. Why? Because I want to trace the floor to create the outer walls of the cave system and I want it all to be clean and seamless. I want to do it once, not over and over.

Anyhow, about half-way through, the line disappeared. And when I closed the map, it closed back to where the line started disappearing. So, there is a limit on the number of plot points. I will guess that the limit is 1024 or maybe 512 points. Arbitrary.

Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the limit?

Thanks!

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The practical limit for nodes in a single polygon in CC3 is just above twenty thousand. The hard upper limit is about thirty-two thousand due to limitations in the engine.

How did you "follow the plots"?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited December 2019
    There is a limit to how many nodes CC3 can handle, but it is WAY in excess of that. To give you an idea I remember someone saying just recently that about 30,000 nodes is comfortable for a continental coastline.

There are several things that could be happening, but the way you describe this map as being very large, and knowing as I do that most templates are relatively small, try hiding all the sheets except the one with the dots on it. If I have guessed right it may be that your work is vanishing under the normal SCREEN object, which is a broad white border around the map designed to visually trim the map so that it is nice and rectangular instead of ragged. (I am assuming here that you have no background to notice if you are going over the official edge of the map)

EDIT: ninjad by Joe this time! :D
  • This would be a fractal floor tool, I guess.

I clicked on 'Default Cave' and then clicked on each of the visible circles that I had drawn previously.

KJ5jWJu.png

I guess that the fractal lines burn-up more plot points? Is that the rub here?

Thanks!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    This is a pretty unusual way of doing things. I normally just use the irregular polygon tool and draw outline shapes on a temporary sheet I call SKETCH.

I am not sure what to suggest, since I have to confess I really don't understand what you are doing. Maybe Joe has a better grasp of the situation.
  • The goal is to seamlessly lay down the floor in one go. Then I will create a wall based on the outer-perimeter of the floor. If it goes right, I only have to cut the wall in one spot in order to open it to the rest of the map.

To me, it looks as though doing this in sections creates a visible seam which I was hoping to avoid. It also requires more wall cutting.

Try hitting the left arrow key a few times to reduce (or eliminate) fractalization added as you draw. You can use the FRX and SIMPLIFY commands to adjust fractalization at a later time if you desire.
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: jslayton</cite>Try hitting the left arrow key a few times to reduce (or eliminate) fractalization added as you draw. You can use the FRX and SIMPLIFY commands to adjust fractalization at a later time if you desire.</blockquote>

YAY! That allowed me to finish up - and I prefer the line over the normal frequency of fractilization, so it is a win-win. Thanks!

mpeS1iu.png
  • I figured that I would include a portion of the original so what I am trying to accomplish would be more evident...

a5mpAbe.png

When you use a cave floor, the floor is made with fractilization, so putting up a wall requires using the floor as a template for the wall. Putting in the floor in all at once reduces seaming and keeps you from joining walls as frequently.

High fractalization with the draw tool would be adding many (potentially hundreds) of nodes for each click. I'm glad to hear that reducing the placed fractal node count fixed things for you.