Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Over at the Facebook group there was a short discussion about a topographical map of Antarctica without snow and ice.
    So, why not give it a try in CC3+?
      AntarcticaIceBed_HC_Blend.PNG
    And here is the FCW file...
    And now you can change the palette in CC3+ and can get whatever you want :)
      AntarcticaIceBed_Arctic.PNG
    Above: Arctic
    Below: Parchment Dark
      AntarcticaIceBed_Parchment_Dark.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2019

Nice. These look great.

Looking at these maps make me want to have more adventures for my players in the polar regions. And by coincidence, they did visit the north pole during last session. My world don't have landmasses in the poler regions though, only thick ice sheets.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Lovely maps, Andre :)

Remy - maybe its time to invent a global catastrophe that causes the rise of at least one polar landmass?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Or the world with 100 metre rise in oceans.
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

Unless your players' characters treat ice and water as if it's air, they're never going to get to the "land" shown above. Antarctica's air/not air interface is much more like a big flat thing than the rock layer found many kilometers below that surface (which is what the above data is for).
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

The interesting thing about Antarctica losing all its ice is that the land would slowly spring back from being depressed by its enormous weight - likely causing earthquakes and potentially new volcanic hotspots. Apart from the earthquakes and volcanoes Antarctica would get quite a lot bigger than it is as the shallower waters would most likely be raised to land.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2019

A geographic program I watched a few years about the Antarctic area says there is an active volcano under the ice there.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2019 edited

Jim, there are currently 138 volcanoes claimed as known beneath the West Antarctic Ice Sheet alone. There are strongly suspected areas of volcanic activity beneath the East Antarctic Ice Sheet as well, but this region has been much less studied overall. The figure of 138 volcanoes is from Wikipedia's Geography of Antarctica page, an order of magnitude that other sources confirm at least. There are also numerous surface volcanoes on and around Antarctica, aside from places such as the famous Mount Erebus.

The map(s) shown here are from the BEDMAP 2 survey project conducted by the British Antarctic Survey in recent years (you can access a much enlarged version of of the first map shown by WeathermanSweden on the linked page). It's also worth reviewing at least the first map (Fig 1) in a paper available for free PDF download via ResearchGate The glacial geomorphology of the Antarctic ice-sheet bed, because this shows both the current coastline (black outline) and the rebounded one Loopysue was talking about (white outline). The latter confirms Antarctica sans ice would indeed be a substantial "new" solid landmass to explore, along with some significant islands of many sizes across much of what's now called West Antarctica.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2019

Proably the documentary was old. I saw it about 2008. But they only mentioned one volcano. Interesting that there are so many of them.
    In the paper mentioned by Wyvern is a map that shows a rebounded version of Antarctica.
    A similar one can be archived by adding one third of the ice thickness to the heights of the Antarctic ice-sheet bed to simulate land raise after the ice has gone.
    Not that this method is quite scientific...but the the result is quite similar...

In this map you also see the boundaries of the dataset I used (Wyvern mentioned it above)

So this is how Antarctica approximately could have looked like before the ice came(or what it may look like a "long time" after when all ice is gone)...
      Antarctica_without_Ice_Landraise_Sealevelraise033.PNG
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2019 edited

Neat trick, WeathermanSweden :)

Maybe worth adding the FCW file for this version of Antarctica too, if you're willing?

If anyone wants to play around a little more with the appearance of Antarctica, albeit not at this level of top-down completeness, it's worth seeing the NASA website for details from the IceBridge Mission, one of the contributors of data to the BEDMAP 2 project.

This page is the most recent news item, posted at the Mission's conclusion in December 2019, but this one is more fun, because it lets you slide the ice across or away from the whole imaged topographic view! There's quite a bit of vertical exaggeration to get the surface features to show up properly at this continental scale, but that helps it look more like some of the usual CC3+ overland mapping styles to me. Plus there's an image further down that second linked page where you can do a similar sliding comparison between the original, less detailed, BEDMAP survey and the newer BEDMAP 2 one.
    So here is a FCW version of Antarctica without ice (after the land has risen...)
    We got a fantasy world - based on real world data with some adjustments...

Antarctica_Iceless.FCW

• CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2019

Thank you, Andre! That's very generous of you :D

Is it only me, or does your map just scream for a whole new fantasy novel?

Or at least an intricate fantasy map?
    Hello Sue,
    I'm just doing a "Loopysue-fantasy-terrain-terraforming" with it :)
    So let's wait and see how it looks like with rivers... ...when iceless Antarctica has gone through your Annual :)
    Just now I have completed the Wilbur-cycle and the land is back in FT3 - where it now generates the rivers...my pc is cooking...55%...
    :)
    /André
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Hi Andre :)

I was curious about that myself, but I thought about the fact that the mountain tips were already eroded and didn't want to suggest it in case it just looked weird. But if you're doing it anyway... :)
    So it looks like in FT3 at this stage:

• CommentAuthorLoopysue

That came out a lot better than I thought it would :)

Some of those glacial valleys are simply vast.

But now it definitely looks worth a novel or two.
    The topographical map map in CC3+
      Antarctica_Iceless_with_rivers.PNG
    ...and with some shading effects...
      Antarctica_Iceless_with_rivers_effects.PNG
    • CommentAuthormike robel

Very Nice...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I agree. Very nice indeed.

When you say "with shading effects", is that still the CC3 map?
    Thank you Mike and Sue!
    And yes, Sue - "The shading-effects-map" is a CC3+ - map; actually the same as above, but with a lightmap-image from Wilbur imported to a separate sheet that is blended to the colour contour sheet.
    It is some kind of a temporary solution; still trying to find other ways to do it.

I can post a link to the FCW and the lightmaps if you like.
    /André
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ah, I see. A sort of hybrid map between pure CC3 and pure Wilbur export.

I imagine that I would not be the only one who would much enjoy being able to view this at leisure on my screen - thank you very much :)
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Wow, that is stunning work. I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2019

Very, very beautiful. Kudos on the great work!
    And here the zipped FCW with the belonging images for shading. They have to be placed in the same folder as the fcw file. Then it should work...
    Antarctica_iceless.zip
    Without Sheet-effects you should get the above version without shading.
    With effects on you get this one.
    If you want the darker version above, change the blender mode effect in the CONTOURS (LAND) sheet from "Hard Light" to "Multiply".

Greetings,
    André
      Antarctica_Iceless_with_rivers1.PNG
    Shared this also on Facebook - and here for those not being on FB:

I love your colour styles from Sue's November Annual - so just by a few clicks and changing the colour palette of the map we can create winter conditions...

• CommentAuthorLoopysue

This winter one is like a Christmas card!

I love it that you are getting so much use out of those colour schemes. This one was based on modern topo maps of Antarctica and Greenland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio

Humm. Those mountains ranges in Winter map would rock for a realistic map style. Nice!!
    ...and if you zoom in enough...you will see him... :)
      Antarctica_Santa.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL! :D
    • CommentAuthorScottA

That's great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

A Santa for Australia at last
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2019 edited

Brilliant work! I scent another WeathermanSweden Map of the Month in prospect from all this!
    • CommentAuthormike robel
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2019 edited

This makes me want to do a new version of this. (it would be a while though, I have others in the pipeline.) I am not the author of this game.

More about the game if you are interested: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9238/war-ice

Not currently in production.
      pic2429934.jpg
      pic3710719.jpg
      pic976284.jpg
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2019 edited

Ah yes, the Far Future of 1991! Sadly, I remember it well (the magazine game Mike showed was published in 1978)...

It would be possible to reconstruct the original game from the images and downloadable files on BoardGameGeek, I think, along with the updated alternate variant, the Dritte Macht. But good luck with your version, should you go ahead with it, Mike!

If anyone fancied a fresh challenge, NW Europe at and after the end of the most recent Ice Age would be interesting to map similarly, perhaps. I've long toyed with the idea of doing a Doggerland map based on the recent sub-sea mapping carried out over parts of the North Sea bed (Doggerland was the area of exposed land where the southern North Sea now lies, connecting the British Isles and mainland Europe, incidentally, named after the modern sub-sea Dogger Bank). I've never got far with it though, as it needs quite some extrapolation to get to a useful level of detail on the final map, plus I'd want to include the Ancylus Lake area as well (now the Baltic Sea, then a vast landlocked lake) and the lands around it.

Today though, when doing a quick search online after being reminded by this topic, I chanced-upon a potentially useful paper from 2017 on the ScienceDirect website, Deglaciation of the Eurasian ice sheet complex, which has several fascinating maps covering from the British Isles east across most of north Russia and the adjoining seas, showing how sea and ice levels changed at various times. I'm not sure how easy it might be to rework some of the maps into CC3+ variants, especially as I don't have FT3 and have never used Wilbur, but felt sure if I mentioned it here, someone more knowledgeable would be able to comment (if possibly in a fresh topic, as I appreciate I'm rather hijacking this one...). The advantage of this paper is there are some excellent hi-res versions of the maps available as free downloads accompanying it, including a timelapse sequence of eight shown in a block as the paper's Figure 4. If this is of interest, I'd also suggest taking a look at the Physics.org webpage here, as this has used a series of similar maps to show how the ice sheets grew and retreated, as a lovely little GIF animation.
    • CommentAuthorryumaou
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2020

Thank you for this! I've been meaning to sort out the export from Fractal Terrains, and Joe even gave me good information on doing it once, but I never got around to it. Now, I can start with your map for my little day dreaming "project"! If anything makes it on-line, I'll definitely give you the credit for the base map.
    Thank you again, André!