Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorHQ Yang
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2019 edited

GOTOPO30 is very high resolution data, but I found some area is not correct. Like the Peloponesean Peninsula, the Corinth Bay is way too narrow..... and Gibraltar is connected to Spain. Is it because of the peak and depth parameter (+30000 and -30000) when loading the data into FT3?
    Keep in mind that the accuracy of GTOPO30 is 30 arcseconds which means approximately 1 km. The narrowest parts of the Corinth Bay are about 2-3 km.
    Because a height value given in a grid point is a mean of all the heights in the surrounding up to 500 meters in all directions (plus that sea values are zero) you will always get a higher value than zero for grid points near the coast.
    That means that the (default blue) water areas (h=0 m) are up to 1 km smaller.
    This is the effect that you get aware of in FT3 especially in narrow parts of the sea.
    So it is not an error in FT3 - this is due to the limitations of the GTOPO30 resolution and that it has no negative values for the depths of the sea.
    /André
    • CommentAuthorHQ Yang
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2019

Thanks a lot. That means I have to manually modify it then .
    • CommentAuthorHQ Yang
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2019 edited

But definitely something wrong with Crete.....
      aegean.png
    • CommentAuthorjslayton
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2019

It looks like your map is corrupted. I see a broken image link.
    • CommentAuthorHQ Yang
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2019

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: jslayton</cite>It looks like your map is corrupted. I see a broken image link.</blockquote>
    I put all of the GTOPO30 into QGIS and combine them together, this is the final image.
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

The PNG that you posted can't be read by my browser. I see a broken image link instead of the Aegean map image that I would expect to see.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Same here.
    • CommentAuthorHQ Yang
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2019 edited

sorry see this time works or not....the bottom coastline of Crete is no way this straight....
      .jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Looks like its trimmed or data is missing.