Beginner Questions Part III: Combing style sheets and changing map size

Lastly, I have just a couple silly how-to questions.

4. As I said earlier, I am working on an abbey for a future D&D campaign. I started with DD3, the SS2 style sheet (I think). But the abbey also includes a secret cave exit that leads deep under ground, and I also wanted to include the surrounding wooded area. So, I'm kind of creating a battle map/castle dungeon/cave dungeon. And while there is a style sheet for battle maps and one for dungeons and castles and yet another one for caves, I need one that is all three. What I ended up doing is opening up a new map using the annual's cave tutorial and writing down the specific effects on the walls, floors, etc., then creating "cave wall", "cave floor", etc. sheets on my abbey map and adding the effects to those sheets before moving my cave onto those sheets. (And, of course, saving that whole style as a new custom sheet style). But… is there an easier way to do that?

5. And lastly, a (hopefully) quick question. I have a couple of maps where I under- or over-estimated the size of the background map that I need. Is there a way for me to change the size of the background and border of my map after I've started it? Please say yes....

Thank you guys so much for your advice and suggestions. I have several other specific (and probably equally stupid) questions, but I'm figured I would start with the general questions.

-lady2beetle

Comments

• I do not have very helpfull answers for 1-4.

For 5, it's easier. Unfreeze the map border and template layers, hide all the rest, and then scale map border and background according to the size you want. You might have to use SCALEXY if you don't want to keep the standard ratio.
    To do that, get the initial border size from LIST or DIST command (if you don't know it, but if you used a template, you know it already). To scale to a new size, simply type new size/old size when the prompt asks for the scale (ie you don't have to calculate the scale yourself).
    Let's say you used a 1000×800 template and wish a 500×300 map.
    Select borders and background (after thawing said layers)
    type CHANGEXY in the command line or right-click the scale button and select non visual XY.
    For the X scale type 500/1000 for the Y scale type 300/800.
    Select any point as center if you're not sure and move everything afterwards.
    You might want to relocate the 0,0 point then. Use the ORIGIN command to do that.

Hope it helps.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    No, there are no easy way to copy sheet effects form one map to another as far as I know. But creating a set of sheets and effects should normally be quite quick. Remember that you can have two instances of CC3 running at once, so you could just arrange them side by side and look at the effects of one and plotting them into the other without having to write them down.