Thinking aloud and wrapping up a style

I am about done with a style based on Columbia Games’ Harn roleplaying system. This style is for developing regional or larger maps. The standard regional map is about 63 x 63 miles, with a few exceptions, especially when along a coast, such as the one I have been working on. It’s 75 x 63 because of the coast protruding out just a bit past the regional grid box.

I made the template default size 1000 x 800. Just in case some ambitious cartographer wants to do more than a single region. This was for the standard unit size of miles and as a wizard.

I definitely need to make a metric one since the scale for the system maps is in centimeters, a centimeter equals 4 kilometers or 2.5 miles. Each hex is 5 centimeters, flat to flat wide.

If I wanted the non-wizard startup map was set for the standard regional map size, would that affect my symbol sizes that are working well with the wizard?

What exactly do I need to do to convert my standard map to a metric one of the scale mentioned above?

What is the best way to share this with others? Is there a way to export the style’s components?

Well back to work.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi Roy :)

Did I miss the map on another thread or something?

Please can I see a little snippet of what it looks like?
  • What is the best way to post a map to this forum? Only reason I haven’t done so yet. It’s taken over a month of tracing and reconstructing it from an existing one.

I actually started this project because I need just a portion along the coast. Now it’s developed into a style.
    edited December 2019
    You can post png or jpg images here, but they should be only 1024 pixels wide. If its a really huge map you might use Save as... set the file type to Rectangular Section jpg, and pick a relatively small rectangle from it to export. Then, once you have the image, you upload it by clicking the browse... button under the comment box.

Sometimes people post links to maps they've uploaded to a cloud, but I have a personal preference for seeing what I'm talking about in the comment above the one I'm writing.

And yes - I do know how long it takes to make a new style ;)
  • roy.dentonroy.denton Traveler
    edited December 2019
    Hopefully this is good enough to peruse. I don't like this border and will probably change it. CGI uses a simple line as a border.
    That looks really great :)

I'm afraid I don't actually know very much about how to distribute things. Maybe one of the others would know more about it.

Its the middle of the night in Europe at the moment, so it might be a few hours before you get any more comments.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2019
    Posted By: roy.dentonI definitely need to make a metric one
    Generally, don't worry about metric maps for overland maps. The map units in CC3+ is abstract anyway, and the difference between miles and km is so small that you don't have to do anything different whether mapping in miles or km, just treat map units as your desired unit, and remem,ber to label the scale bar correctly in the end.
    Relating km to cm is a print scale issue anyway, and print scale is set at print time.
    If I wanted the non-wizard startup map was set for the standard regional map size, would that affect my symbol sizes that are working well with the wizard?
    You need to set the default symbol scale appropriately. Maps created using the wizard does this automatically, but for pre-defined templates, you need to set this manually. Just figure out the size that works best for that map size, and set it in the drawing properties window.