Fills with Holes Error

Hey Guys!

I am having an issue with some fills having a blotty fill. Basically it's not a 100% fill and its showing holes to the land below it. I know it's something with my Sheet Effects, but not sure what is going wrong. It's for the Grassland Fill for Hermin Wielink.

Using Edge, Fade Inner effect. In CC3, while zoomed out and in, it renders as full fill. When I render it it out an view it outside of CC3+, it shows the fill has holes. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Comments

• And here is the Sheet Effect Prompt.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Transparency Acne.

Its a problem with the rendering machine when pixels that are immediately above and below one another and just happen to be the same colour. The rendering engine reads the topmost pixel as not being there, and if its not there its a hole. A hole, of course will have the sheet effects applied to it, so you see this blotchiness where the Edge Fade Inner sheet effect has been applied all the way around the hole as well as around the edge of the polygon itself.

I've had this issue with Herwin Wielink myself when I first started. Back then I cured it by using a Hue/Saturation Lightness sheet effect on the grassland fill, though you have to very noticeably change the hue to make it be all right again. That was ok for me, since I preferred all my shades of grass to be rather different to the default one, but you may be looking to keep that particular grass shade, so it might not be the best one for you.

There are other things you can do instead of changing the hue of your grass. You can change the hue of your land or swap it out for one of the colour alternatives. Or you can add a third sheet between the land and the grassland directly beneath the grassland sheet, and copy the grassland polygons to the third sheet (call it BACKING GRASSLAND, or some such name so you know what it is). Copy the same sheet effects from the grassland sheet to the new BACKING GRASSLAND sheet. I've found that sometimes you don't need to do anything else at all, but sometimes the TA is still there. In these cases you may need to change the properties of the polygons on the BACKING GRASSLAND sheet to Solid fill and set the colour to one that you can be certain isn't included in either the land fill or the grassland fill. The most useful colour is purple, which rarely appears in any fill. What you may find then is that you can see the purple around the edges of the grass. Check if it still peeps out at you on the export. If it does then increase the EFI on the BACKING GRASSLAND sheet until it is no longer visible.

That all sounds like a lot of hassle, I know, but take heart - I've heard lots of rumours going around the place that this is something the PF Team are seeking to fix in the render machine at some point in the future.
  • Hi Sue! Thanks for the tips! I tried to add the same fill to a new sheet but it keeps on reverting back to the GRASSLAND Sheet. When I select the fill I want to use, I then select the new Sheet I made, but it still goes on the GRASSLAND sheet. Not sure what to do.
    This conversation is getting a bit complicated because its happening concurrently on two forums. I just described the copying process over on the FB group page, but here it is again.

Ummm… not following you with the fills.

You need to copy the grassland polygons to the new sheet. Hide all the other sheets so only the grassland is visible. Right click the hourglass and pick Copy to sheet, then select all the polygons on the grass sheet and select Do it, and copy them to the new backing sheet.
    Then when you've done that make sure you have copied the sheet effects across to that you have two perfectly identical sheets and try an export.

If you still have the TA hide all but the backing sheet and change the properties of the polygons on that sheet to solid colour and purple and try a second export.

If the purple is peeping out from under the grass in that second export, increase the width of the EFI effect on the new backing sheet and try again.
  • Sorry about that Sue! I was a bit impatient about it! But I got it working. Thank you for the tip!
    No more holes then?

That's good :)

I'm going to link to this thread from the FB one so that people with a similar issue can come and read the fuller version ;)