FT3 Coastline export

Hello,
Just started with CC3, FT3, etc. I have used FT3 to create a the coastline and exported it into CC3. In CC3 I have a green land mass, and white oceans. I would like to delete some islands/lakes, and edit parts of the main land mass. Is this possible? When I try to select anything, it selects everything.

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It sounds like the coastline is what we call a multipoly. This is where 2 or more simple polygons have been combined to make a more complex polygon, for example smaller polygons might be used to cut holes in larger ones. Unfortunately these multipolys are not editable and have to be broken down into their constituent parts before you can do anything to them. You do this using the explode tool (a stick of dynamite) in the left hand toolbar.

A useful tip before you do this is to hide all the other sheets and use the change properties tool to turn your landmass hollow, so that you can still see any lakes that might otherwise be hidden by the larger polygons once the land mass has been exploded.

If when you have edited your landmass you want to turn it back into a multipoly so that the lakes are once again part of it you can do this using the Multipoly tool on the right hand side. It's the one with a smaller poly inside a larger one.
  • 8 days later
  • Hello Loopysue,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks for the help. In your opinion is this the best way to generate a random continent structure? I tried to do it freehand, but it never looked as good as the FT3 output.

Thanks,

Doug Larimore
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    No worries, Doug :)

I usually use FT3 as you have done, but sometimes I mess around in GIMP in black and white to make myself a template to trace.