Community Atlas - Elrogol Fort, Caves, 10

This will be a bit different.

A wood post and dirt bailey will be on the surface with a cave behind for the main defenses.

My text notes for this one are a bit confusing, so if I have the name wrong please let me know.

Comments

• My computer updated and I am going to have to check and see if anything is missing.

Hopefully I can start work on this map this week.
  • Very preliminary area map.

I inserted the partial png, and used it as a guide. As you can see I didn't go back and forth between the map and the bmp. Lots of things to fill in, and a river to add. Hills to move, etc.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited December 2019
    River and road edges needs some work. More opaque glow behind some words so the can be more easily read.

This map shows deforestation due to ceremonial and cooking fires.

Scale is off on some items.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Coming on nicely, Jim :)

This is just a suggestion, but wouldn't that bridge on the left be better as a reflected copy of the bridge on the right?
  • Yeah, mirroring would look better.
  • Preliminary close in and cave/fort map. 1000' x 800' Squares are 20'.

Wood poles and stakes out front of the entrance. This will will be added to later on.
  • 6 days later
  • Updated.

Do I need to do anything major or just clean up a few things, type up room and area text, etc. ?
  • Very good - can't keep a good dungeoneer down.
    Can't really see the details at this scale, Jim, but from what I can see it looks good :)
  • Hard for me to see to.

There is mostly wood debris, with a few skeletons.

Wood pallisade in front as part of the entrance defenses. The cave upper right is how the bad guys got in and blocked access to the armory. Silly place to put the armory, way off on the other side from the dwarf barracks.

Thinking about putting a secret room or two around so there is something for adventurers to find.
  • This is it, unless I get corrections.

A wooden pallisade protects the cave fort entrance, but not well enough to defend from an attack.

Note that the map grid is 20 feet by 20 feet.

1) Pallisade wall. A few wooden spikes, but not full coverage of the openings. About 140' wide by 88' deep. Large open area for reinforcements to cross. Stone archway into passageway to room 2.

2) 100' x 60' Guard Room. The backup guards were called away to deal with the invaders coming in via cave 13.

Wood debris, skeletons, rusted weapons and armor. The slantest passage was a good idea, but a second one on the opposite side of the room could have helped the defenders.

3) 80' x 100' x 10' Barracks for the guards. Looks like some of the pallisade wall entrance spikes were used here, instead of being on the outside wall. 6 skeletons from dead dwarves. Wood debris. Doors to store rooms are open.

4) 20' x 20' x 12' dusty, otherwise empty.

5) 20' x 20' x 15' dusty, and what looks like the reminas of rusty daggers or other smaller weapons.

6) 20' x 20' x 12' walls slightly crooked, not as well built as the other two rooms. Dried blood on the floor, Small foot and hand bones.

7) 60' x 80' x 10' a store room, hidden behind a secret door out in the main passageway. Could be some dwarf treasures here, coins, etc. under the rotted wood debris.

8) 80' x 40' x 12' dining room. Two fireplaces for warmth.

9) 100' x 40' x 15' kitchen. Four fireplaces.

10) 60' x 110' x 10' Leader's quarters. Some wood debris. Might have a few coins, etc. under some of it.

11) 20' x 100' x 15' armory. Rusted weapons and rusted armor. One of the flails and one sword might be usable.

12) cave, about 150' x about 50' x 20' The back way the attackers got in and drew off guards from the pallisade.

13) Dead Woods, northeast of fort. Undead have been reported here.

14) 20' x 40' x 15' food storage, all rotted or gone.

15) 20' x 60' x 15' food storage, all rotted or gone.

16) New Woods, southwest corner of map. Tree and brush growth since the fort fell to attack.
    edited December 2019
    I found some misspelled words, and I added some verbiage to the area map description.

Elrolgol Fort area distances. Straight line distances. Walking in this hilly terrain can extend some distances.

lake to cave: 26 miles; Elrolgol Lake: triangular lake is 21 by 22 miles; distance to manor house: 15 miles.

to River Village on otherside of river: 22 miles. North east village; to river bridge: 48 miles.

to river village: 56 miles; to monestary: 60 miles; to road: 3.5 miles

The dwarves who lived here sent runners to get help. The runners never returned. Help was so near, but no help came.

Dwarves fought hard against the attackers, then more came into the Fort via the cave none of the dwarves knew was there.

Slowly and patiently the tunnelers widened the small hole leading into the cave. They worked at breaking into the dwarf made tunnels at night, when they knew the dwarves would be mostly asleep and relaxed.

No trumpet calls, no drums beating, until all was ready.

After days of fighting, the dwarves were no more.
  • A wooden pallisade protects the cave fort entrance, but not well enough to defend from an attack.

Note that the map grid is 20 feet by 20 feet.

1) Pallisade wall. A few wooden spikes, but not full coverage of the openings. About 140' wide by 88' deep. Large open area for reinforcements to cross means they could fall to arrow and sling fire before they reach the pallisade defenses. Stone archway into passageway to room 2.

2) 100' x 60' Guard Room. The backup guards were called away to deal with the invaders coming in via cave 13.

Wood debris, skeletons, rusted weapons and armor. The slantesd passage was a good idea, but a second one on the opposite side of the room could have helped the defenders.

3) 80' x 100' x 10' Barracks for the guards. Looks like some of the pallisade wall entrance spikes were used here, instead of being on the outside wall. 6 skeletons from dead dwarves. Wood debris. Doors to store rooms are open.

5) 20' x 20' x 15' dusty, and what looks like the remains of rusty daggers or other small weapons.

6) 20' x 20' x 12' walls slightly crooked, not as well built as the other two rooms. Dried blood on the floor, small foot and hand bones.

7) 60' x 80' x 10' a store room, hidden behind a secret door out in the main passageway. Could be some dwarf treasures here, coins, etc. under the rotted wood debris.

9) 100' x 40' x 15' kitchen. Four fireplaces. Any cooking pots and utensils have rusted away.

10) 60' x 110' x 10' Leader's quarters. Some wood debris. Might have a few coins, etc. under some of it.

11) 20' x 100' x 15' armory. Rusted weapons and rusted armor. One of the flails and one sword might be usable.

12) Cave, about 150' x about 50' x about 20' No cave formations such as stalagmites and stalagtites, which is a bit odd. The back way the attackers got in and drew off guards from the pallisade. ( Stalagtites hold tight to the ceiling. Stalagmites are on the floor. ) The cave almost looks artificial.

16) New Woods, southwest corner of map. Tree and brush growth since the fort fell to attack.
    Another fine set of maps, Jim! :)

Would you like me to run the text through MS Word spellchecker again?
  • Sure, sounds like a good idea. I think I found all of the misspelled words, but I"m not sure.
    Ok. There were just a couple of spellings not quite there. I set the language in MS to American English for you (meanwhile the English spellcheck on this forum is going wild with red squiggly lines :P )

Here's the processed result:

1) Palisade wall. A few wooden spikes, but not full coverage of the openings. About 140' wide by 88' deep. Large open area for reinforcements to cross means they could fall to arrow and sling fire before they reach the palisade defenses. Stone archway into passageway to room 2.

Wood debris, skeletons, rusted weapons and armor. The slanted passage was a good idea, but a second one on the opposite side of the room could have helped the defenders.

3) 80' x 100' x 10' Barracks for the guards. Looks like some of the palisade wall entrance spikes were used here, instead of being on the outside wall. 6 skeletons from dead dwarves. Wood debris. Doors to store rooms are open.

5) 20' x 20' x 15' dusty, and what looks like the remains of rusty daggers or other small weapons.

6) 20' x 20' x 12' walls slightly crooked, not as well built as the other two rooms. Dried blood on the floor, small foot and hand bones.

9) 100' x 40' x 15' kitchen. Four fireplaces. Any cooking pots and utensils have rusted away.

12) Cave, about 150' x about 50' x about 20' No cave formations such as stalagmites and stalactites, which is a bit odd. The back way the attackers got in and drew off guards from the palisade. ( Stalactites hold tight to the ceiling. Stalagmites are on the floor. ) The cave almost looks artificial.

• It's a good map. My only comment, as a soldier, is if I was going to have a cave fortress, I would dang sure make (1) my primary entrance was camouflaged and highly resistant to attack, because once you get it, it is likely not to end well, and (2) I would find/make a back door, so I don't have to die in the end with my back against the wall with a sword in one hand and a fading, just like my endurance, fading torch.

These modifications though would undoubtedly change your story....
  • Posted By: mike robelIt's a good map. My only comment, as a soldier, is if I was going to have a cave fortress, I would dang sure make (1) my primary entrance was camouflaged and highly resistant to attack, because once you get it, it is likely not to end well, and (2) I would find/make a back door, so I don't have to die in the end with my back against the wall with a sword in one hand and a fading, just like my endurance, fading torch.

These modifications though would undoubtedly change your story....
    These scenarios are that they failed as forts etc. So if I make them too strong, then they couldn't have failed.
    edited December 2019
    Okay, if no more corrections I'll be submitting this week. I've copied and pasted your corrected text Sue.

Onward and Up, uhm, downward into the dungeons !
  • for the next one I'll either go with 8) Mithlas Holes or 9) Daefadel Fort.
  • 7 days later
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Jim's fort is now in the atlas. Thanks for the contribution. Elan Daelarion is really the spot to go for some dungeon delving tourism (Just make sure your travel insurance is of the ultra-premium-plus version that covers losses due to ancient traps)

image Elrogol Environs
    image Elrolgol Fort
  • And rescues don't cost extra !
  • The RCL offers special deals to members of this forum - just 1000 gp/day.
    [RCL - see this map - https://atlas.monsen.cc/Maps/Elen Daelarion - Modern Political]
  • Jim, I love that you add the detailed room descriptions for your fantastic dungeons. It makes slipping them into a one night emergency fill in gaming session easy peasy. I'll be using this one when our current DM slacks off and asks me to fill in for a night. Thanks for making my life stress free! :)
  • You're welcome.

But not stress free for the player characters. :-)