New Guy Mapping II

So I'm Mapping out a continent based off a world map and adding in further detail and some place markers for stuff to add later. I decide to put in some place names for countries on their own sheets and layers called COUNTRY NAMES. Can't seem to keep Sheets COUNTRY NAMES on the list. Every time I come back to the map after closing program it has disappeared. Then after hiding all the layers except COUNTRY NAMES and changing their color from red to black the sea and coast come back with funky pixelated look. (Attached file.) Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Do you have the latest update installed? It used to be an issue that empty sheets wasn't saved with the map, but that should be fixed in more recent versions.
  • I think I do. Just got it updated by the site about the time you offered your first comments. I realized I titled it wrong. Seems to work now. But whats up with the pixelated thing?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Sheets are what you should be using to manipulate the drawing and its effects, not layers. If you are hiding layers instead of sheets then you have probably hidden the MERGE layer, which will cause all the effects to stop working. That might explain the pixilation of the coast.
  • Hmmmmm. Ok so I'm looking at it and it seems the TEMPORARY Layer when UN-HIDDEN duplicates the pixely effect. When Hidden it looks fine. I thought if I put those country names on a layer called same I could toggle them off by hiding them so I could make maps with and without them, yes?
    edited December 2019
    Layers or sheets.

Which are you definitely talking about?

The MERGE layer is definitely different in that it somehow controls sheet effects, but the effects themselves are applied only on the sheets, not layers.

The only way that hiding or showing a layer (a layer, not a sheet) other than the MERGE layer can affect sheet effects is if something making that effect just happens to be allocated to that particular layer. Maybe if you could show us a coupld of shots of what you mean we can work this out, since I am a bit lost when I can't see what you are talking about.
  • See previous map attached to my first note here. I figured that the TEMPORARY LAYER (With bit map I used to trace over was somehow popping back up when I deleted all the Country Names. If I keep it hidden all is well. (Should I delete it?) What I wanted to do is put my COUNTRY NAMES on map and be able to make them invisible when I wanted to print a map without them.
    The bitmap isn't actually embedded in the FCW file. It is only referenced by it to wherever you have it saved on your own PC. I'm so sorry if I sounded awkward by asking for some screen shots, but it was only because I really and honestly can't see the very thing you are wishing to discuss. So I'm talking blind here.
    a.jpg 484.2K
    Athough, as I said, I'm talking completely blind, I sense you are getting the function of layers and sheets somewhat muddled up. Sheets are way more important than layers. I hope this doesn't confuse you too much, but CC3 sheets are equivalent to PS layers, while CC3 layers are something else altogether that don't usually get all that involved in making your average map. The only time they play a really important role is if you are trying to hide sections of a very large map to reduce processing time, or if you are using them as a GM to hide various secrets and so on. Most of the time we map using just the sheets and kind of ignore the layers, because all the important visual stuff is controlled by the sheets - drawing order and effects.
  • Hi, thanks for trying to help. I don't really understand what you are saying (Very new to this kind of program.) PS Layers? MERGE layer? I get that sheets are for effects to any elements ascribed to them and it's best to put rivers on one, map text on another etc so you can ad different glows etc. And I get that layers are like transparent pages you can put different parts of the drawing on so you can view them separately or put them all on and see everything and it's best to group them as well. The problem I had was I wrote country names within boundaries on my map and wanted to put them all on the same layer so I could hide them from a players map view so they wouldn't see them (I also wanted to change the font style on all of them at once instead of each individually.) When I did this by selecting them all as one big group my coastline became pixelated and so did the ocean colors. I since went in and did them one at a time (instead of as a big group) and that hasn't occurred again. I can click on Unhiding the TEMPORARY LAYER and see it though. Is it safe to delete the TEMPORARY LAYER?
    Sorry Greg :)

First find out exactly what there is on the temporary layer by hiding all the other layers and clicking apply. Then if you don't want whatever is on there delete the layer, though there is no reason to delete any layer or sheet at all. You could just delete the thing that is on it.