What are the splotches on this map and how do I fix them?

I mean the little grey squares on the left side of the map. How do I get rid of them again? I tried using Annual 129 and doing a regular export. Sometimes I get these and sometimes I don't. I would prefer never to get them.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Does it change and move around if you zoom in and out when you are looking at the CC3 map?
  • Yes it absolutely does that when I zoom in and out from the CC3 map. Is this an Edge Fade Inner thing?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It might be. Sometimes if you have two fills overlying one another and they both have pixels in them that are exactly the same colour (in this case I would guess the darkest ones in the lighter texture and the lighter ones in the darker texture), and if there is an edge fade inner or a bevel effect on the topmost texture, you get what we call Transparency Acne. I can't remember who called it that, but its the unofficial name for it. This is where the rendering engine gets confused by the fact that there are identical pixels and fails to render the top one at all. Of course, that means it perceives a hole of some kind in that top sheet, and the edge fade inner is applied right there as if the hole is an edge - hence the perfectly round areas.

I've seen it happening before in this style (and in others too, including my own Japanese Temple and Asian Town CA issues), but I also know that PF are hoping to resolve the issue with further developments to the rendering engine. Right now, however, the best option is to completely duplicate the topmost sheet beneath it and turn all the polygons some solid colour that neither of the others could remotely be expected to have in them - like one of the purples for instance. I usually call it a backing sheet and increase the EFI on it to make sure it doesn't peep out around the edges. This effectively separates the two greens and should prevent the Transparency Acne.