Town of Rast

Good evening all,

First time I've been back for a while and I'm happy to share this with you. I just started using the Cities of Schley style and have come up with a town I rather like. I'm looking for advice on how to make it look better and be a bit more realistic. I don't think the town, really a large village, warrants walls just yet so I don't have them. Also I rendered as a JPEG because it seems to look cleaner when rendering as JPEG vs. PNG. I don't know why. No key and there are some things I want to add but I'm just curious about opinions on it so far.

Comments

• Nice, but some houses/shops should almost be adjoining - look at villages in Europe rather than USA.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I can see it :)

Looks pretty good so far. You might consider adding some trees, and or using different kinds of ground in the village. Maybe those market stalls are set up on a paved area?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If this is a village rather than a town you could try to indicate some garden areas around the houses?
  • edited December 2019
    For defences, there are plenty of options without needing to resort to walls - hedges, banks and ditches (or just ditches), fences, even creating streets where all the houses adjoin and access to the town centre is via a few narrow alleyways between some of the properties, with gates across the main streets only. If nothing threatens the area, there shouldn't be any defences, since creating and maintaining them is a costly process. Plus all of these are essentially European medieval concepts, which may not be appropriate for the setting you're working with.

As for the current layout and appearance, the main thing is does it fit with what you have in mind for the setting? Adding features like gardens, or moving some buildings closer together, as already suggested here, are fine ideas, but do they fit with the culture you're illustrating?

If you're wanting to use the sea inlet as a harbour, maybe add a "sloping" sandy beach if you don't want more formal pier/walkway facilities (to get boats in and out of the water), and perhaps a small boat or two?

Possibly worth thinking of some obvious freshwater sources - a small stream or two, ponds or wells. These are important for drinking (humanoids and animals), putting out unwanted fires, and construction, for instance.