Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorkangnguyen
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2019

Hello all,

I am wondering what climate type people consider jungle and marsh land? I am having a hard time visualizing what tropical deciduous is vs. tropical evergreen and so on.

Also, there are areas that i want to be cold marshes/swamps and I am not quite sure what to use for them.

What do you use for such areas?

Thank you for any help you can give!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It is very difficult to find a definition for either type of forest online just by googling the terms, since there are too many different classification systems available today and no sharp line between the two types. Very broadly the difference between tropical deciduous and evergreen is one of altitude and rainfall. The lowland Amazonian forest doesn't have a noticeable dry season, so is tropical evergreen, while the parts that extend westwards into the foothills of the Andes have a well defined dry season. This part of the forest is deciduous, with the trees losing their leaves during the dry season to conserve water. This is all the same forest, though. There is no magical dividing line where one side is evergreen and the other is deciduous. It's a gradual change over hundreds of miles.

Most Fantasy mapping styles do not provide different fills for these two types of forest, but just one fill that is usually called something like 'Jungle'. Jungle tree symbols tend to be predominantly palm tree shapes, which is a representative symbol and not the truth on the ground. Tropical jungles are not comprised entirely of palm trees, but the palm tree is the most widely recognised symbol for 'Jungle'.

Similarly, marshland may be salt marsh, freshwater marsh, Peat bog, swamp... or any other labelled type of wet piece of ground from a wide range of different classifications. Sometimes there is more than one fill to indicate soggy ground in a style. For instance the Marsh and Swamp fills in the Mike Schley style, but don't get hung up on what something is called or whether there is a 'proper' use for it. If the ground is soggy for any reason pick whichever fill seems to best illustrate the situation and use it. If you really need to define subtle differences in your map the best way to do it if there aren't enough variations in the fill style is to use the same fill but change the colour slightly - greener for more tropical, and more blue for temperate or cold. Then make a map key, so that people know what each of your sub-classifications mean.

You can change the colour of a fill by using it on a different sheet with a Hue/Saturation Lightness sheet effect on it (HSL), so for 3 different types of soggy ground using the same fill you would have 3 different sheets with different settings in the HSL sheet effect.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh I am so sorry!

I must be half asleep again. I went on about how I would represent things in a CC3 map. Most of what I said about fills and sheet effects will not apply in this case, but there are still some parts of it that may be food for thought - mainly about classifications of forest and the fact that there is no right and wrong fill to use as long as you make it clear what the fill represents in a key.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2019 edited

Cold marshes would be more like, to me, tundra or muskeg. I would probably put a few brush symbols. Some green areas to look like lichen and moss. Overall rock, some dirt, maybe some ice patches.

edit: bush symbols, not brush symbols.
    I think its important to remember that climates and biomes are two different things. For instance, temperate grasslands encompasses many different types of terrain that might be represented in different ways on a fantasy map. A marsh might be a particularly wet grassland, for instance. There is a pretty good resource here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=32998. The tutorial itself goes into some pretty complicated detail, which is fun for me but not everybody, but the pdf on offer there has a good summary of different biomes based on Koppen climates that you would probably find helpful.