Community Atlas - Vale Watch, Caves 12

This is the thread start of the next map in this series. Area map from the orignal png.

Comments

• Preliminary map.

The room on the right side of the cave entrance will have arrow slots connecting it to the cave.

Left: guard room, quarters and armory for the guards, upper two probably dining and kitchen.

Might put a pit, unknown the the former inhabitants on the right, along with additional rooms nearby.
  • Wasn't feeling well on Monday. I'll be working on a deep cave for the right side of this map before I work more on the rooms.

No tile walls on these rooms and corridors.
  • I think the cave needs more work, but here is the map so far.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited December 2019
    Magic room upper left. Torture of orcs room upper right.

Thin lines from room to right of cave to cave are supposed to be 1 foot wide tubes or slots for arrow firing, or crossbow bolts.

Cob webs for thegiant spider.

Debris blocking access to the secret door. An often replaced torch in the same room.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Why orcs in particular? The torture room, I mean.

Looking good, Jim :)
  • Quenten suggested a torture room, and I figured orcs would be good for that being done to them by the dwarves.
    edited December 2019
    Room numbers added.

Magic in room 12 ? Is this what brought the outpost to ruin ? Why is it hidden behind several secret doors ?

Might go with a second level. What do you think ?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    My guess is a secret necromancers behind the secret doors, who secretly perform experiments on the population, which caused their downfall.
  • I like the goblin trampolines in Cave 1! Not sure about the dragon dung piles in Room 2 though (at least they're well-lit)...
    edited December 2019
    Trampolines ? Now, thats a thought.

I think I'll go with Wyvern's descriptions for 1 and 2. Remy, I like the hidden necromancer idea as well.

edit:

Looking at adding additional rooms above, for the necromancer. Along with access to the pit so he can toss captives into it.
    edited December 2019
    Ground level and Necromancer's level up above.

Not sure if rooms 9 and 10 will be for the dwarves or the necromancer.

Ground level: Necro 11, 12, and 13.

Upper level.

2 rooms and the cave.

1 and 3 is the bad guy's living and secondary torture areas. And 2 is the cave.
    I really like this wall texture a lot better than the tiles you used last time. It looks a lot more... "wallish" to me :)

Is this lake a single huge cavern that's really tall? I'm trying to understand why it appears in all the levels.
  • It starts at the upper level and goes down around 100 feet. The dwarves don't know it's there.
  • Any more suggestions ? Corrections ?

Otherwise I'll be submitting by the end of the week.
  • I'll work on the text and post that bit later today or on Thursday.
  • Sigh. Time got away from me. I'll work on it in the next couple of days and submit.
  • Here I start. Vale Watch Area map.

A few hills, even fewer trees, a dry land.

The Paragaino River is off the map to the north side and east side of this map.
  • Ground Level

1) entrance cave. Large spider webs. Orcs thought they could bounce on them. The spiders liked that, but ate them anyway. Reminas of the orcs under the webs.

2) 30' x 30' x 10' Some skeletons. Stone and wood debris. Someone, or thing, renews the torch at random intervals. Secret door leads to the rest of this small comp[lex.

3) 30' x 40' x 10' 2 undead skeletons, 2 skeletons, and an opened chest. Open door leads to other rooms.

4) 20' x 30' x 12' 1 undead skeleton. Closed barrel and closed small chest.

5) 30' x 40' x 15' cold fireplace. Hasn't been used in many years. 2 undead skeletons. Wood debris. Dwarf skeleton under some of the wood debris.

6) 40' x 30' x 12' 1 undead skeleton. 2 closed barrels. A green vase that glows in the dark. Secret door leads to rooms 9 and 10.

7) 20' x 10' x 5' opened chest

8) 20' x 10' x 7' opened chest. Small false bottom with a few coins in it.

9) 40' x 20' x 10' dry water cistern. 2 unused for years braziers. Room is behind a secret door.

10) secret door to get to passageway to this room. 40' x 30' x 20' A room used by the dwarves to torture anyone they felt was responsible, or knew about, the disappearances. The thin walls shows it to be a later construction.

Two iron madens. A rack. Two seats of pain. A cage. Two green glowing vases.

Rooms 11, 12, and 13 are part of the Necromancer's domicile. No instruments of torture here. Its to calm the victims.

11) passageway. Secret doors at both ends.

12) 20' x 30' x 10' Spiral stairs going up to the evil level. Two closed chests with any money worth items from the dwarves. A small table with a chair and two stools. Three basquets.

13) 20' x 10' x 10' room. Secret doors at each end.

14) 30' x 30' x 10' guard room. Small poisonous spiders went in through the arrow slots and killed the guards.

The cave is not accessible from this level.
    edited December 2019
    upper level. The home of the Necromancer.

1) 20' x 40' x 10' spiral stairs. Seat of pain. Short pasageway to where he drops the dwarves. Long passageway to his home.

2) about 140' x about 100' by 50' deep cave. There isn't a way back up to the upper level. The water is unfit to drink.

3) 20' x 60' x 10' easy chair and table.a nice bed. Two cupboards. Coin purse in one of the cupboards.
  • Please let me know of any corrections/changes.

Thanks.
    All very tidy maps again, Jim :)

I can't see anything wrong with any of them to nit pic, but I've just run the text through my spellchecker for you and picked out a word I can't figure out. It's surrounded by 6 asterixis at the end of point 12

---

Ground Level

1) entrance cave. Large spider webs. Orcs thought they could bounce on them. The spiders liked that, but ate them anyway. Remains of the orcs under the webs.

2) 30' x 30' x 10' Some skeletons. Stone and wood debris. Someone, or thing, renews the torch at random intervals. Secret door leads to the rest of this small complex.

3) 30' x 40' x 10' 2 undead skeletons, 2 skeletons, and an opened chest. Open door leads to other rooms.

4) 20' x 30' x 12' 1 undead skeleton. Closed barrel and closed small chest.

5) 30' x 40' x 15' cold fireplace. Hasn't been used in many years. 2 undead skeletons. Wood debris. Dwarf skeleton under some of the wood debris.

6) 40' x 30' x 12' 1 undead skeleton. 2 closed barrels. A green vase that glows in the dark. Secret door leads to rooms 9 and 10.

7) 20' x 10' x 5' opened chest

8) 20' x 10' x 7' opened chest. Small false bottom with a few coins in it.

9) 40' x 20' x 10' dry water cistern. 2 unused for years braziers. Room is behind a secret door.

10) secret door to get to passageway to this room. 40' x 30' x 20' A room used by the dwarves to torture anyone they felt was responsible, or knew about, the disappearances. The thin walls shows it to be a later construction.

Two iron maidens. A rack. Two seats of pain. A cage. Two green glowing vases.

Rooms 11, 12, and 13 are part of the Necromancer's domicile. No instruments of torture here. It’s to calm the victims.

11) passageway. Secret doors at both ends.

12) 20' x 30' x 10' Spiral stairs going up to the evil level. Two closed chests with any money worth items from the dwarves. A small table with a chair and two stools. Three ***basquets***.

13) 20' x 10' x 10' room. Secret doors at each end.

14) 30' x 30' x 10' guard room. Small poisonous spiders went in through the arrow slots and killed the guards.

The cave is not accessible from this level.

upper level. The home of the Necromancer.

1) 20' x 40' x 10' spiral stairs. Seat of pain. Short passageway to where he drops the dwarves. Long passageway to his home.

2) about 140' x about 100' by 50' deep cave. There isn't a way back up to the upper level. The water is unfit to drink.

3) 20' x 60' x 10' easy chair and table. A nice bed. Two cupboards. Coin purse in one of the cupboards.
  • baskets then. But basquets is an older spelling, I think.
  • Vale Watch Area map.

A few hills, even fewer trees, a dry land.

The Paragaino River is off the map to the north side and east side of this map.

The only civilization here was the Vale Watch cave fort.

There are occasional birds, some animals large and small, but no dwarves, humans, nor humanoids. On rare occasions the adventurers might spot a group off in the distance. When they get there, no tracks, no signs that any one was actually there.

= = = = =

I'll be submitting in a few seconds. The above blurb is for the area map.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2019
    Jim's new dungeon is now available in the atlas. Thanks for the contribution Jim.

Karagrim Vale
    Vale Watch
    Vale Watch Upper Level
    Great work!

Thank you Jim :)
  • You're welcome as well Sue.