Sanctury - 40 Gigapixel export - Largest CC3+ export ever?

imageSo, after a LOT of work, I finally managed to produce a 40 gigapixel export of the City of Sancturay map by Sue and Lorelei.

You can view it in the atlas, just go to the Sancturary page and click the Zoomable Image button. (And I then recommend you click the full screen button down in the black toolbar at the bottom of the zoomable image viewer). Check it out, it is really nice.

The image is 200,000 by 200,000 pixels, and I exported it from CC3+ by exporting it as 1,600 individual tiles of 5,000 by 5,000 pixels each and stitching them together to a single image. To my knowledge, this is the largest export of a CC3+ map ever made.

That final image is a .png of over 12Gb in size (I had to use a .png. because .jpg only supports up to 65,535x65,535 pixels). I actually can't open that final image in an image editor, they just crashes, but I was able to convert it to a zoomable image, which was the point anyway.

It took quite a bit of work and processing time, but I think the end result was worth it, even if there are some imperfections.

You can read more about the process in the new blog article I just posted.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Wow, Remy! :O

That's just unbelievably huge!

Thank you so much for doing it :D
  • Thank you, Remy! It's so nice to zoom in and move around pretty easily on this HUGE map. Although....now one can zoom in on my many mistakes making hundreds upon hundreds of buildings, lol~
  • Awesome map! I've asked this type of question before, but you can't blame a guy for trying ...

How many people would you estimate that this city has?

Did you have a population estimate before you began your work, and if so, how did that guide your project?

There are numerous medieval town generators on the web that give a population center's disposition. Did you consult with anything like that?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Interesting fact about the map size. If you had an image of the Island of Manhattan (New York) of the same size (40 gigapixels), each pixel would represent an area of 1.5 by 1.5 inches. Not quite enough to actually recognize someone looking up at you, but enough to recognize that it is a human face.
    Another interesting fact - I hadn't realised that grass texture I made for the map was quite so tufty looking when it was enlarged that much.

Seycyrus - I have no idea. I grabbed the initial plan from a random generator, but I changed the layout of the roads within the walls so much that even if I had taken note of the stats it would no longer be relevant. A large part of the generated city was swallowed by the harbour.
  • Wow. Very interesting city layout and design, and beautifully made!

But, pray tell me, how did you do the shadows of the ramps?
    I think those are polygons of black on a sheet with a Blend Mode effect. To be honest I can't remember all the details that well. The FCW of the city is available from the Community Atlas if you want to know for sure. Be aware, however, that opening it will take a little while longer than most maps. There are hundreds and hundreds of shaded polys, and on top of that several hundred tree symbols.
  • seycyrusseycyrus Traveler
    edited November 2019
    ...Be aware, however, that opening it will take a little while longer than most maps. ...

*suppressed giggle*

Sue, you have an entire unique file structure devoted to many of the symbols/fills. Are they from vintyri?
  • So now when someone's been illegally picking the flowers in the Botanical Gardens, we can all see where they've been! Superb work from everyone involved.

Next up is a similar map where you can take off all the building roofs and see inside every one (all floors, naturally) ;D
    edited November 2019
    Seycyrus - All those files were made by me specifically for this one map, although, having said that they were also used in the later Japanese temples annual :)