Missing symbols - how to deal with it?

I just finished my first Dungeon in the "DD3 Dungeon Color" style.

While the libraries contain loads of symbols for all cases, I could not find a suitable representation for "a stack of firewood" or "an alarm bell".

What can I do about this? I left the bell out, and I tried my very low graphical skills on making a mediocre looking firewood stack.

Is there any compatible style that would give me such symbols? I tried the "Miscellaneous Objects" library from the "Medieval Symbols", but their firewood stacks are photos and look terrible in a DD3 Color Dungeon.

Alternatively, is there a way e.g. to request additional objects to be drawn? Maybe with a kind of "Like" or "Upvote" mechanism?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    There are several truly massive collections of symbols and fills for free at the Vintyri Project. The links to the download pages are given in the sticky thread at the top of the forum, called "Interesting, Important and Helpful topics - Free Symbols, Resources, Tutorials & More"

I don't use those sets myself since I can draw whatever I want for myself, but I have seen what they contain and I'm sure there were camp fires at least, if not bells.
  • Posted By: LoopysueThere are several truly massive collections of symbols and fills for free at the Vintyri Project.
    I know them and have them installed. That's where the "Medieval Symbols" directory comes from. I walked through the complete collection of things I have installed, but the Vintyri collection only offers photos of such wooden stacks, which does not really fit in.
    In that situation I might try running the stack of wood through some kind of bitmap editor's cartoon filter and make my own symbol. Be aware, however, that though this is fine for personal use, you can't distribute the altered symbols in any way. You can sell the map they are in, but not the altered symbol in it's own right. That stays with you.
  • edited November 2019
    Posted By: LoopysueIn that situation I might try running the stack of wood through some kind of bitmap editor's cartoon filter and make my own symbol.
    That is an idea I have not thought about. Thanks! Any idea which editor has such a cartoon filter? I've never seen one, but to be hones, I have never before looked for something like that.

EDIT: I found a Cartoon Filter in GIMP, but I got nothing even remotely looking like DD3 Color style... Painting was never my strong side.
    Posted By: LoopysueYou can sell the map they are in, but not the altered symbol in it's own right.
    Selling a map? I am far, far away from producing anything that someone in his or her right mind would pay money for ;-)
    I have lots of extra filters for GIMP that come with the GMIC add-on (also free). Unfortunately I keep forgetting that not everyone has that particular filter pack. Even more unfortunately I got it about 3 years ago and now cannot remember the page where I found it. I think it was a pretty convoluted route I went through. I was initially just looking at YouTube videos on how to do make convincing water textures in GIMP, and it was mentioned and linked to in that.

If you download Krita (another free bitmap editor that is in many ways better than GIMP) GMIC comes preinstalled with it at the bottom of the Filter menu. There is a much better cartoon filter in that one, and loads more effects to try as well. I'm not saying that this will solve your problem - just that it might be worth a try.

The other thing that strikes me is the number of people who say they are no good at art, but who, if I can persuade them to have a go at a few simple things, suddenly start to realise that its really not as difficult as you might think. I'm no Da Vinci, but people like my stuff. You don't have to be the worlds greatest artist to be able to make perfectly usable symbols.
  • Posted By: LoopysueThe other thing that strikes me is the number of people who say they are no good at art
    For me it is simple. If it can be drawn or graphically computed, be welcome. Making things in whatever CAD is fine. But don't throw pixel-things at me...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2019
    I agree with you there. I can make reasonably nice maps in CC3+ with all the existing graphical resources at my disposal, but actually making a raster image that looks remotely like anything at all is beyond me. (And I've tried multiple times, always with a cleart vision in my head what I am making, but to go from there and actually produce something, that is way beyond me). This is why I love CC3+ so much.

As for the stack of firewood, I know there are one in both SS2 (This is more lifelike than DD3 Color, but less than the CSUAC stuff), and in SS4 (this is more cartoony than DD3 Color). Unfortunately, since all artists draw things differently,, it is difficult to find a symbol that fits perfectly in when the style when the style itself don't have the exact symbol you look for.
    I've seen the planks symbol from the Debris catalog being used as firewood quite often. Would that solve one of your problems?
  • Posted By: LoopysueI've seen the planks symbol from the Debris catalog
    I don't know, I have to look for it. Where would I find the Debris catalog?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer