Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2019

I can hardly wait.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2019 edited

Thank you, Wyvern :)

Its all in the name of the thing.

I've since changed Salt marsh plateau to Consolidated salt marsh, and called the third one Salt marsh (not consolidated). I hope that expresses the relative density of the marsh, which seems to have been the intention where the two fill styles meet right here. North is towards the opening of the estuary into the North Sea. South is upriver.

Marsh fills.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Jim - I'm working as fast as I can :)
    Posted By: LoopysueHello Khornishman! I thought you had the flu?

Glad to see that you are on the mend - I hope.

I do, but I am still going to work and checking emails and here. I'd had a flu shot about 3 weeks ago and EVERY time I get a flu shot, I get the flu after. The nurses deny it, but it happens every time. It's not as bad as it could be, due to the shot, but it's still the flu.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That doesn't sound good at all. My mum has the flu shot, but she never comes down with the flu afterwards. I used to have it too when I worked at a care home. It was part of the infection prevention policy - that all the staff had to have one regardless of age and role.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

We get the dead virus shot in the US. You might be getting the live virus as thats what we used to get. And its not 100% effective. It takes about 30 days to build up the immunity.
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc

There are many, many types of flu. The people who make the vaccines make their best guess as to which will be prevalent each season, but they have to do so months in advance to have enough to meet demand. Sometimes, they guess wrong.

Also, from what I understand, it's not all that uncommon to have the symptoms of the flu from the shot, which isn't quite the same as having the flu, but it feels the same to the patient.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

If anyone is interested in the other side of the coin concerning flu shots... https://childrenshealthdefense.org/?s=flu+shot

And that's all I will say on it...
    Well, I am very excited for what Sue has accomplished thus far. My many stories are bubbling up now that I will have the best way to show their locations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Yea, I think this is going to be a very nice style once Sue is done making it. It holds many promises.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thank you both! :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2019 edited

A few more new textures in the collection today.

new textures.jpg

Trying to decide if I need to shrink the pasture and Salt marsh cons lines down. They feel a little large compared to the rest of the hand drawn ones. I'm aiming to have them properly to scale with each other so that they can be used at the same texture scale in CC3 and match each other's resolution perfectly.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2019

Looking great!!! :D (that's all I can really say here)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thank you! :)

I'm currently nearly wetting myself laughing at the 'dunes' I'm trying to draw. The ones on the map are a lovely bell shape, but can I draw one? Hell no! LOL!
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

OH, yes, yes you can! :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

No! They're all really lopsided. LOL!

I'm going to have to practice all night.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I do believe you can. You are a most excellent mapper and symbol, and fill, maker !
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Aw thanks, Jim :)

Maybe not such a great penwoman, though.

I'm so ashamed of them that I can't show you them until I have a perfect one to tack onto the end of the line up.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Why not just trace a few to get the hang of it?
    • CommentAuthormike robel

Don't worry, I failed lines, coloring, and penmanship from kindergarten to sixth grade. Cursive writing was a real bear.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL! I am tracing them. Maybe I should stop and try freehand.

I just don't do enough drawing. To be good at it you have to do it every day. For too long I've been concentrating on lots of non-drawing activities.

Never mind. There's plenty of time between now and February. I will practice for an hour a day.

I've decided that I need to adjust the scale of those existing fills so that they all look like they came from the same map. Its those two scribbled ones throwing it out, but I think I will make the other's larger. Not sure yet.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Cursive ? Sorry, but ewww.

Scaling fills has always been a problem for me.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I mean scaling the line drawing within the area of the texture patch. That's different to scaling the whole texture in CC3.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Oh, I might have a difficult time doing that to. But I have improved my mapping skills.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

My impression from the samples that've been shown here from the original maps, and my own brief forays to examine a few of those originals online, is that the vegetation drawings weren't strongly scaled in the first place, presumably because they were all done by hand as and when needed, so sometimes smaller drawings would fit better into smaller spaces, and so forth.

Of course, it makes sense for the CC3+ version to be better scaled, and from the fill swatch samples, it does look as though the pasture and salt marsh cons ones need reducing slightly (given they're in the minority of completed fill textures with such drawings added).

I struggle to draw freehand curved symmetrical objects too, so can greatly sympathise with your bell-curved dunes problem. Presumably these are for the Unstable Dunes, as the Stable Dunes swatch sample you showed seemed much more, let's say typical CC3+, hill-symbol-like, with the dunes in small overlapping groups too, which often helps hide any drawing imperfections (from experience...).
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

You are right about the lack of comparative scaling in the original. Some of the same textures across the map may vary in symbol size and density by a factor of 2. And you are also right that the relative scaling of the drawn texture in CC3 is more important than on the original map simply because they will be seen right next to each other, rather than on opposite sides of a large scale country.

You have me giggling now at just how many overlaps I would need to hide all the current dune mistakes! But don't worry - I'm getting better :)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

You could always try with the drawings below the fill colour, Sue...

(Yeah, yeah, defeats the point, I know!)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL!

Look, will you stop making me giggle. They've gone all wavy now! LOL!
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

;D
    Sue,

That all looks good.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2019

• CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2019 edited

Well.... still no good news on the dunes front, but I think I have the relative scaling sorted out now. At least the Pasture and the Salt marsh cons (consolidated salt marsh) no longer stand out like sore thumbs :)

new textures2.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

And finally - the dunes.

Dunes.png
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Ah, I just *knew* you were duned to get that perfectly right! :D
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Also, what font are you using - that's beautiful!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh grooaaaan! LOL!

Thank you!

That's Tangerine. It will be included with the annual. I love it, and have been using it in maps for a couple of years now. It does need to be fairly large to be readable, but I think its loveliness outweighs any concerns over having to have slightly larger labels.

It also matches quite closely some of the more florid labels on the original map.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Thanks for letting me know the font name. :) A long time, in a galaxy not so far far away, when my hands were actually steady, I used to dabble in calligraphy, so fonts have their appeal to me. :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It was one I found ages ago during a 2 day stint of searching for new fonts.

I don't know anything about fonts at all. I just know I really liked this one :)
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Well, IMHO, it is a good one. And definitely fits this map style.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2019 edited

Here's another one. My first attempt at one of the tree fills.

The heath and heath scrub textures appear in many places on the Ferraris map. Sometimes the trees are featureless blobs, while others they have more character and may be tall and thin or short and squat. The grassy marks and colours of the heath are also very variable. I chose the most interesting parts I could find and combined them into one.

The textures I've made share the same basic grass ink marks. This will help when using them in combination, since they should line up quite nicely.

I will be making separate tree group symbols from those in the fill, because there are places on the Ferraris map where similar groups of trees appear in the middle of arable fields.

A heath.jpg
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2019

I know it doesn't fit with the Ferraris concept, but I'm tempted to suggest a varicolor option for the lines of bushes from the Heath Scrub fill, because they'd be very useful for lines of standing stones with an alternative colouring. If the map had been for Brittany, there'd probably have been a host of standing stone features on it already, of course...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2019 edited

LOL! Yes, they do look a bit like stones don't they.

We'll see how much time is left when I've done what's officially there. I have to say that I've been thinking of all the things that are missing for more general mapping myself. Things like a full set of forest types, and of course railways and such things that weren't around 250 years ago.

I've done another couple of fills today. The coniferous forest and the peat bog. They aren't related to each other, but they contain a lot of the elements I've already drawn for other fills, so it just seemed logical to do them next.

aa.png
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

❤️
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Loopysue commented:LOL! Yes, they do look a bit like stones don't they.

We'll see how much time is left when I've done what's officially there. I have to say that I've been thinking of all the things that are missing for more general mapping myself. Things like a full set of forest types, and of course railways and such things that weren't around 250 years ago.

Might be worth seeing if PF would consider an additional Annual issue for such extra items, perhaps? Given how many people use CC3+ for fantasy mapping, it would be good to have access to suitable extras like standing stones, stone circles, magical sites, burial mounds, etc., maybe also things like resource types (minerals and wild game animals, say), in a matching style.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2019

Posted By: JMunsonII❤️

Posted By: WyvernMight be worth seeing if PF would consider an additional Annual issue for such extra items, perhaps? Given how many people use CC3+ for fantasy mapping, it would be good to have access to suitable extras like standing stones, stone circles, magical sites, burial mounds, etc., maybe also things like resource types (minerals and wild game animals, say), in a matching style.

I think that is probably some way into the future right now, but it's always a possibility :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2019 edited

This is going to be a seriously long post. Not because I'm going to say very much, but because it has the entire first column of the CC3 Ferraris key in it.

I've done 30 fills so far, with another 6 to go, (and then there's all the symbols, but I'll sort out the fills first) 4 of these are not yet done, as indicated in red. Some of them still need improvement, but that will happen gradually as I get fed up with the imperfections one by one and have to do something about them. Most imperfect of all are the new woodland textures. There's something wrong with the deciduous trees, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe tomorrow it will leap out of the screen at me.

Annual Ferraris Style.jpg
    • CommentAuthormike robel

I like them. I think the problem with deciduous trees is that they are smooth and regular and they should be a little "curly" on the outside so they appear more irregular.

The gardens/parkland look more structured than the others. How do you they think they will be drawn by the user? The paths and surrounding trees and houses might appear in an odd way if one describes an irregular polygon for it....

I hope these comments make sense.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

This is going to be a very short comment. I'm having difficulty with the server vanishing when I hit Add your comments, and my comment completely vanishes!

The red labels aren't done yet. When they are there won't be any paths or other non-fill details in them.

Agree the trees are wrong, but I will look at them again in the morning.

Where forests exist I will provide blank backgrounds to lay out the extent, then use the forest fill for the interior and symbols identical to the fill trees to tidy the edges up where an Edge Fade Inner has erased half a tree.
    • CommentAuthorroy.denton

I really love these. I play CGI’s Harn and while I find their regional map style quit functional for the detail in them. I, and many others, find the local maps usable but lacking in style. This is even more apparent in their interior styles.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

This is great !

I like these fills.