Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2019

I'm in FT3 making decisions. Etc.

I keep selecting the wrong icons and have lowered when I meant to raise, etc.

Anyway, this is the jpg in ft3. Yes, the island, etc. whatever at the top looks kinda like a snail. I'm going to try and leave it that way.

900 pixels of a 5000 pixel wide map.
      tntrolls_b00000018b.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2019

Looks like an interesting world you're working on, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019 edited

Here are more changes. The center bit where it looks a mess of islands... is a mess from picking lower when I meant raise, and raising when I meant lower. But I like the look and might leave it that way.

edit: I'm not sure how that vertical lines of hills got on the center continent... maybe I'll keep that to.
      tntrolls_b00000024b.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019

Jim - I can see a problem arising now that you have done some more work on this map. There is a clear vertical line developing in the middle of the map. I think this may be what others have called 'the wrap line' over on the FB group page. If it is, then that's where the two ends of the underlying fractal world meet.

Please can you open the Map Projection dialog and just check that the top two numbers in these boxes are zero? If they are not, save your FT3 file first and then try setting them to zero. It may damage your editing, since it will shift the underlying roughness of the base map sideways, and it's up to you if you want to leave the line where it is or not. The thing is, though, that if you don't move it back to the edges you will get quite noticeable marks on that line in the end result.
      AA.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It will move everything - including your work, so this is a decision that only you can make.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I'll check, but it is possible I did that manually as a big glaring mistake.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yes, they are all zeros. It is was me that did that.

I printed your help to pdf in case it happens again.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

How about the North Pole Position settings in the World Settings dialog secondary tab? Are they also at zero?
      bb.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yes, those are zeros as well.

I used the lower and raise preset tools to break the line up.
      tntrolls_b00000026b.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019 edited

I can't think of any other reasons the unofficially named 'wrap line' would have moved into the centre like that.

It's very strange.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I looked at earlier jpgs, and it looks like my editing did it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Well, ok. If you are happy that its not a problem :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I'm not going to mention how it looks in Wilbur. I am moving on...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Ah, saved it as 16-bit gray scale png. Savced again as bmp, then converted to jpg.

The above png is 47 megs and the bmp is 137 megs.

This 900 pixel jpg is 45 kilobytes.
      tnt.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It's very difficult to tell what it really looks like from the size of the image, and from the colour scheme being used, but congratulations on completing the Wilbur part of the process :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I do wonder where some of the mountains went. I have a series of mbr files if I need to go back a ways.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2019

It might be that you forgot to set the altitude span each time, but it's no great disaster if you saved versions all the way through.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2019

I have been thinking about going back to the FT3 mbr export and starting the wilbur items over from the beginning.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2019

The beauty of saving so many versions is that you can if you wish do exactly that.

In the meantime I've copied those notes I made above about the 'wrap line' into a revised version of the Supplementary Notes so that they don't get lost - if you want to download and reinstall the issue, they should all be there in the right place for you :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

You're welcome, though it's Ralf you need to thank. I couldn't have done it without his consent and work to alter the installer ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I thank you both.

I figured out where the vertical line came from. Looking at my original mbr file, there is a square on the ocean floor I accidently added and didn't edit out.

Now, to expunge it from my map. Well, the ft3 map.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2019 edited

I've decided to use a world already done in ft3.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2019 edited

You mean a synthetic world?

If so, you don't have to worry about adjusting the 180 meridian like you do with a hand sculpted world. There's not such a join problem with a synthetic world ;)

The instructions in the main Mapping Guide are the ones you need to follow.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I have had more car problems which I think we solved so it's hard to concentrate on maps.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Okay. Working a bit on the ft3 world today.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Looking at this one. I noticed when I 'save as' the jpg, at 5000 x 2500, there is a huge white border around the map. So its more 4205 x 2105.

Is there a way to fix that ? Or is this normal ?
      newest_tandt04_000001b.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

For some reason my editing in FT3 now causes constant redraws. I must have done something, can't find it in the menus, as it didn't do this last time.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

Of course, if I switch to gamut - land, its looks better.
      newest_tandt04_000005b.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I think I'll go with this one. No lakes, so I made some large ones.

Of course, I can remove some of them, and turn them back to bays.

( Looks kinda different ? Yup, I accidently wiggled the globe and moved it arround... argh. )
      newest_tandt04_000012b.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

White border problem on image exports from FT3:

Zoom extents first, then export the map as a png. Open it briefly in GIMP, right click the layer and pick Alpha to selection, then go to the Image menu and pick Crop to Selection. That trims the transparent bit off around the edge. Export to itself and close GIMP.

How do you mean 'constant redraws'?

Not sure how that globe shift will affect things. Lets hope there's no line at the 180 degree meridian. Again - I never use the globe because it shifts the map. You know those two dialogs I asked you to check if they were zero up at the top of the thread? Are they still zero?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Constant redraws as I change something and the entire map is redrawn in ft3. But I change to the new color scheme land, and it just redraws what I'm working on. Probably redraws the entire map, I'm just not noticing it.

I must have selected something in the export CC in FT3 because this is what I got. It doesn't look like this in FT3.
      00000004b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

If I just do an export world Cosmographer template, I get a map the colors as they are in FT3.

So, I think I'll go with this map.

Unless someone can tell me what mistakes I made in the rectangular export. Please.
      00000005b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Sorry Jim - I'm really not getting what you mean.

What does it do when it redraws something?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

The export is only the first stage of producing a vector CC3 map. If you continue through the instructions they explain how to transfer the contours from the exported map to a purpose made template and how to change the colour of each contour to those seen in the Jerion example.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Redraw smooths what I did so it looks better.

The colors above don't export, but I get the second one. I figured out why.

What shows in FT3 is from the mbr; however, the colors in the last one above are from the Lighting and Color selection.

I thought where it said 3a was the end, I didn't scroll down.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I did do a zoom extents and I still get the large border.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

If you want to get rid of it you need to edit the exported image in GIMP.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

I have another car problem, so I think I'll take a break. I may have looked at these out of sequence... did look at the time stamp and the filenames.

This is the png export, 900 pixels, when I got to just before step 3. I had to have made a big error somewhere as this looks nothing like the other maps.
      00000011b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

FT3 colours are not exported to CC3, but interpreted as various similar colours that are available in the default palette in the CC3 template - which are neither the ones used in FT3 nor the ones seen in the Jerion map. The ones in the Jerion map are from a special CC3 palette I made for this annual. You get them by copying the contours to the annual template and changing the properties of the contours to the colours provided.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

A couple of tips that might help:

Don't use the move tool with SHIFT pressed down.

Close the globe view - it moves things around.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Since I retired, I have had odd effects on computer software.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

LOL! It's not you, Jim :)

There are just certain things that I discovered it was best to avoid when doing this particular job. Both tools are good, but not when you are sculpting a world ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Well. I did get a shades of blue world when I tried to do the inverse in 3. No png of it. I panicked and did an undo. Ft3 turned black with the select blinking line. I did a face palm and reloaded the file from my hard drive.

So I have no idea what happened.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

The inverse?

They are quite long instructions. Which page is that on?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Main pdf just before or early part of 3. On my cell phone so I can't check.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

I think (though there's no way to be sure without knowing which page you were looking at) you may be talking about Select->Inverse, which is in Wilbur not FT3.

It may not have been that command exactly, but Wilbur gives you a black screen if you undo anything because it doesn't automatically refresh. Doesn't matter what it is. The moment you use undo the screen goes black.

The way to recover the view is to go to Texture->Recompute lighting.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Yeah, Wilbur not FT3. My error in the post.

I did save earlier mdr and ftw, in the appropriate software, so I can go back again. I probably need to take a leave of making maps.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime5 days ago

You do so much, Jim. Maybe take a break from this one and finish up a few other things then come back to it?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Yes, since I have to edit sub-level 2 of the caves, I can work on that and come back to this.