Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2019 edited

I have decided to make a vector map of Nesvines City using a map I generated from Watabou's medieval City Generator (an absolutely great little programme, BTW)
    Here is the map so far, and the map with the bitmap underlying it. i have been very faithful to the generated map.
    I am doing this in between finishing the Dun Fingolfin map, just to give me a break - it is actually quite fun to do, and saves me thinking about layout.
      Nesvines City.PNG
      Nesvines City with bitmap.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2019

A very colourful solution, Quenten :)

If you add a lighted bevel effect to the sheets with the buildings on them you will also get nice little rooftop shapes - like Hadrian's work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2019

Very cool, i like this style a lot. :)
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I like this very much. What did you use to make the buildings?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Using polygons with solid colour and outlining in black - just copying the Watabou city really. I chose different colours for each district.

I am basing this on Annual Fantasy cities annual

The effects I used are:
    Bevel - Length 2.5, Strength 30%, fade 100%, Map Units
    Drop Shadow - X=1.5, Y=1.5, Opacity=50%, Blur=2, Map Units
    Glow - Outside, colour 38, strength 0, blur 3, map Units
    Glow - Outside, colour 0, strength 12.5%, blur 1.5, Map Units

Thanks for the complimentary feedback on what really is just a mental doodle
    As I said above, it takes no thinking and relaxes my mind before diving back into the Dun Fingolfin City.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2019

Thanks, Quenten. I really like this one a lot and will have to try this myself, although I suspect you are far more patient than I am!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Scott, I wonder...

If you could make the background transparent and use TRACE to get all the buildings drawn in a matter of seconds? If you could do that, then the whole map would only take a few minutes to do.

(Sorry Quenten)
    • CommentAuthorScottA

OMG! That would be brilliant, Sue! That never occurred to me.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It would be best to adjust the settings on the generator page to be as contrasty as possible before exporting the map.

I'm really sorry, Quenten. I just have one of those problem solving brains that's always asking if there's a quicker way of doing something!
    • CommentAuthorSkidAce

Just so I understand, currently you are copying the pregen city building by building?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

No need to be sorry - I will try it out and if it works - hey presto, a big city in minutes!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh.

I thought you were using it as therapy, and enjoying the task of drawing each one separately. I thought it was very Zen. LOL!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think you will need to make sure the generator is set to black and white so that there is a nice crisp definition of each building.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Open it in GIMP. Add an alpha channel (right click the layer and pick Add Alpha Channel) unless it already has one. Select the background with the magic wand selector. Sharpen the selection. Hit Delete.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019 edited

Yes, it is for relaxation, but my eyes widen when mass producing cities quickly becomes a possibility.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019

I smell an instructional article for the newsletter forming...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

That's coffee you're smelling
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh is that what they smell like?

I must not have written a strong one yet, then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime10 hours ago

An update on Nesvines - i am into the inner city now,so hopefully not too long before all buildings done. i am trying to keep it as vector as i can
      Nesvines pic.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 hours ago

Looking good, Quenten :)

Did you try the technique that Andre devised to get the rest of it done and dusted?
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTime3 hours ago

Another great map Quenten. I actually really like the different colored districts but then I have always loved (preferred) vector city maps for the very reason that they can be color coded. Players have an easier time navigating a large city when they don't have to keep asking "What is this building?" "Is this a shop or inn?" etc.

Very, very nice.