Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2019

I'm reading the supplemental notes for CA155.

Got the Tools menu up on my copy of FT3, most recent version, and I don't see Tool properties. I really don't use the menus much and probably looked right at the properties and read it as something else. Or didn't see it.

Here is the bit I'm trying to locate. Page 4.

Click the Green Raise Prescale
    Offset brush (RPO) and in the

this I don't see: -> Tool Properties panel set the Height and
    Width of the brush to 500. Set the Value to 0.5.

Thanks.

Car troubles giving me a headache, so I'll see you all on Monday.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2019

Sorry for being a bit scant on the detail there, Jim.

This image shows the box that must be ticked in the World Settings -> Editing tab for the green Prescale Offset tools to be activated, and also the open View menu showing the Tool Options docker toggle switch.

When it is open the docker will be blank until you click one of the green brushes. Then it should display the Height, Width and Value of the brush you have picked.
      AA.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2019 edited

I thought I looked there. I'll look again.

edit: I didn't have Tool Options checked, it is now and the height etc. shows up.

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2019

You're welcome, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

They disappeared again; however, I have been having computer problems. On the off chance something in FT3 went wonky due to my operating system hiccups, I removed and uninstalled.

The paintbrish options showed up right away.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

If you accidentally hit the close button on the docking window, which is easy enough to do when your brain is busy thinking about whether you want a mountain range 'right there' or not, you just have to reopen it again from the View menu.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Odd.... I could have sworn when I changed Application Look, the 'Paint Brush Options' went away. Can't seem to duplicate it now though.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think the exact set up of the window depends on how it looked when you last saved something.

If it happens again just check to see that the docker hasn't just closed down - check the menu again.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2019

Its working again.

On to the contour selection and making the continental shelf. I do the 0 to 1000 feet and I get a dotted line around every land mass.

I do the Tools, Global Set, Altitude Value, and the dotted line is still there.

Is that correct ? Or should the dotted line be gone ?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I hope you meant 0 to minus 1000 feet?

You should get a dotted line around the coast, and another one just a short distance out from the land. These are the rings of selected ocean floor around your land masses, and the dotted line is just to show you the extent of the selection.

Then when you set the altitude to -1000 feet that should level all the sea bed within those rings to exactly -1000 feet.

The dotted line will remain in place until you deselect, which I think is in the following instruction.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I keep forgetting to mention I'm reading, and using, the Supplemental pdf, not the main pdf.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I gathered what you were doing from the questions you were asking ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Oh, I didn't realize it was that obvious.

I'm kinda taking my time on normalizing the continental shelf. Other things are slowing me down from working on it.

My problem is I sometimes read instructions too literaly, and sometimes not literaly enough. Or read what is or isn't there.

I'll continue on as I have time.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Don't you worry about a thing, Jim. A map will take as long as it takes :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

What me worry ? But I'm not Alfred E. Neuman. :-)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL! :P
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019 edited

Okay, I got past the deselect. And I did two two lines/areas around each island/continent before that deselect

edit: new jpg
      tntrolls_b00000027b.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019

What version of Wilbur should I have ?

I'm using 1.37.00.00 for Windows and the menus don't match all of the instructions in the Annual issue. I am still finding the items to do, but they are moved slightly from the Annual.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

The one I used for the Annual is version 1.89. That is the current version at the time of writing.

It would be best to download the current version from http://www.fracterra.com/wilbur.html. Its the first one under the heading "Download" some way down the page.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Keeps crashing to dekstop when I do the add noise and fill basins bit. I thought I did get that one, but obviously I didn't.

Thanks !
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Now that doesn't sound good. You may have to export a smaller MDR file. The size is set in the final dialogue when you save it in FT3. If you have no choice but to reduce that size do it by 500 at a time so that you find the largest possible one you can use without crashing in Wilbur.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The first one is 1.37. The setup file. The zip file just below it is 1.89.

I'll try 1.89 now and see if it crashes again.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks for that bit of info, Jim. I could have sworn I downloaded that first one myself - the one at the top of the Download list near the bottom of the page, but I must have gone for the zip file on autopilot.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Crashing can happen if you try to work with a file that is too large for the RAM on your machine, so it may still happen, but let's keep our fingers crossed.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

No crashing so far. And I'm past the second fill basins.

I have 8 gigs of ram.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

You should be ok if you've got that far.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

No crashing still. And I'm at precip erosion. 5 passes. A bit slow here and there, but its working.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

It will be slow. I think I mention it in the text in several places. These are seriously large files. Check the size.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Its progressing fine. I'll save out to mbr and jpg. Post the jpg here, and then quit for the night.

I mean to my Tunnels and Trolls thread I'll post the jpg.