Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Would some enterprising artist please create a map style vis that found in the Atlas Ferraris? Link to the main page is here: https://www.kbr.be/en/the-ferraris-map/ Just click on a map (rectangle with name and number inside) and then click on the link that pops up above the main image.

I really like that type of map and were my artistic ability better than it is, I'd do it myself, but alas, such are crap and have not gotten any better in decades of practice.

There is a Napoleonic style in one of the old annuals, which I have, but it does not have the fills, hills, and roads in the style of Ferraris.

Particularly, if you view the map links, look at the larger cities, such as Ath or Tournai, as that style of city is what I'd also like to pain on the overall map. It may be doable within City Builder 3, but I'd like to see that on a world map, if at all possible.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2019

Its a nice style, I have to admit. And it wouldn't be too difficult to set up a template with a few fills like that. But... and here's the problem with just copying anything you like. Who created these maps, and how do they feel about their style being copied? Are they published maps?

(You will have to forgive me - I can't read in anything other than English)
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

The maps were done 300+ years ago. Replicating the style shouldn't cause anyone any distress.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2019 edited

LOL! Well I obviously don't read any text at all when there's a map to be looked at.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I'm a little busy right now, so the other big question is - are there any other CC3 mappers who would like to see this style?
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2019

I'd love to see that sort of style donee as an annual.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2019 edited

I get the map with the little squares, but nothing happens when i click one. i would really love to see it - can you post an image or two here?

I have got it working now, but an image of a region, and a village close in would be good. What a great little map.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I don't think there are different scales available, Quenten. As Joe kindly pointed out to me its a couple of hundred years old and hand drawn.

Looking at it from a style point of view its relatively simple. The most complicated bit would be creating the fills and getting people to use aligned polygons to get the direction of the lines in the fields right. Either that or a hundreds of separate fills with different angles of field hatching to chose from.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I wonder if it would be possible to create a drawing tool that automatically aligned the fill with the longest edge, and outlined the polygon with a boundary?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ok. I've figured out how to make a hatch style align with the first side of a polygon, but I can't work out how to make a new hatch style. the one I've used is by coincidence a potential substitute for the forest fill on the map.

Anyone know how to make a new hatch style that is just a series of horizontal lines like the field shading in the example map?
      hatch style.jpg
    Here is, I hope, a snippet from one of the maps.
      Atlas Ferrarris sample screen cap snip.png
    Quenten,

Once you click on the rectangle map portion, you will have the name of that part of the map pop up above it on the screen.
      AF tut1.png
    Clicking on St. Denis 115 in the bottom right will show this. Click on the name I've circled in red.
      AF tut2.png
    Clicking on the name of the map segment brings up the below, which will show you the info for that section only. This is a LARGE collection of maps, which I hope to purchase in book form in a couple of months, when my budget allows. It is my favorite map in existence.
      AF tut3.png
    You can then zoom into the map quite closely.
      AF tut4.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's good. I may need your help to identify unique fills for the set, so that we don't miss any out.

So far the need for several different types of field hatching is evident, along with some kind of water meadow fill, and a forest fill. Are there any others?

The buildings can be done as solid polygons with an edge fade inner sheet effect. Similarly, the relief shading can be replicated with sheet effects using otherwise solid polygons.

I don't know how close I can get to it, but a nice parchment overlay will probably help.

No promises yet. I have a LOT of work to do to finish something else I'm in the middle of doing right now. I'm just saying it won't be that hard to create some kind of facsimile of this style.

We need to work out what kind of fonts would be suitable as well.
    The trick, as I see it, will be to be able to paint on the various buildings of the different settlements. A random city building function would work, but for this period, the fortifications look very different from those that I am familiar with in City Builder 3. I'd really like to see the later fortifications of the Vauban style, although he took from the Trace Italienne style and made significant improvements.
      AF tut5.png
    Loopysue,

I do appreciate your delving into this, even if it is only to test the waters.

I'd be happy to purchase the map style tools for this, either as part of an annual or even privately, if that is even possible.
    Loopysue,

I will search through the regions, today, and see if there are other fill types used. I'll take snippets of all that I come across and post them for easy viewing here.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That would be extremely helpful thing to do.

As far as distribution goes, that's a long way into the future - especially since I will need to ask Profantasy if they have time and are willing to help with the template, and if they are interested in making an annual of this potential new style.
    Loopysue,

I understand, no promises and such...and maybe years away if ever.

I've already a dozen snippets and will look again after noon, as I've a need to be out of the house for a few hours.

I do appreciate that you are at least looking at a perhaps/maybe/something in the future for this.
    Beach fill
      AF beach fill.png
    • CommentAuthorkhornishman

A couple of the field fills
      AF field 2.png
    Field with hedge, already see this elsewhere, but focused here.
      AF field and hedge.png
    • CommentAuthorkhornishman

Open Woods fill
      AF light woods.png
    One of the meadow fills
      AF meadow fill.png
    The ocean contours, which look like dense watercolors
      AF ocean contours.png
    Orchard
      AF open orchard.png
    Another type of orchard with a park around a building
      AF orchard and park fill.png
    River, with an arrow showing the flow of the current.
      AF river with current arrow.png
    One of the road styles, more than a path, but not a major road.
      AF road style 1.png
    another style of road, usually seen inside towns and villages.
      AF road style 2.png
    This appears to be the way the major roads are depicted, as tree-lined.
      AF treelined road.png
    There might be a few others, but I am going through each of the maps and that is taking some time. Will likely have more of these to add, tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I love the old, archaic maps. Hope something comes of this, although I suspect Sue is already burning the candle at both end and the middle! Just don't stress yourself out or get sick trying to do too much and please everyone Sue.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thank you for all your hard work :)

I can work with those examples - when I get the time, that is.

The first and most important thing of all, however, is that I manage to work out how to automatically align the striped field textures properly as they are drawn. This will involve creating a drawing tool that uses a macro, and I'm pretty rubbish at macros. However, this seems like a good opportunity to try and get a bit better.

I know I've said it earlier, and you have already acknowledged it, but I cannot stress enough that I have no idea when I will get the time to do all of this, or even if PF will be interested in the style once it is done. These are just the very early stages - the brainstorming bit that comes before the hard work.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh Scott - I didn't see your comment while I was writing my own.

Thank you for being concerned :)

I am indeed burning everything in all directions, but only very slowly right now as I'm still not feeling 100% well. But rest assured - I can't actually overdo it any more. I just haven't got the energy to carry on like a teenager :P when sleep comes, it comes ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks for the instructions on how to use the map - and now I can see the map in all its wonder.
    No worries. It took me some time to figure it out when I first came across it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019

Well I found a spare half hour and tried my hand at the field fills.

I know they aren't in context at the moment, but what do you think? Too wobbly? Not the right colour? Too dark/light? Too grey?
      Fields.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Definitely not too wobbly - perhaps not enough?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Hmmm. wobbliness.

Ok.

I might have time to look at it again tomorrow :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ok. I hope you are ready for this.

This is the wobbliness chart.

V2 is the same as before but with stronger distortion nodes. V3 is the same again but with the stripes inverted, because I noticed how the wobbliness on V2 was more like blobbiness than wobbliness (convex curves v concave curves). V4 is with a longer wavelength on V3, and V5 with an even longer wavelength.

So. Am I getting any closer with this?
      Wobbliness chart.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019 edited

Way too wobbly. Looking at the original map, most of the time, the lines have the exact same thickness all along, with just a minor variation on the edges. I think your original attempt on the previous page looks much closer than these.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I agree - I think you have swung too much the other way. Pretty loopy, really. Gives me the collywobbles. I think I'll just womble on.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL!

Ok. I still have the originals, so no problem there. I can always fine tune things right at the end of everything when I've got an example map going and can see how it matches with the original.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Not sure if you intended to go further, but a little edge fade and some random edge pooling would help mimic the watercolor/ink effect...

And I like the first set better than the second.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I must have been too subtle then. There is already a dark stain on the outer edge, but I can make it wider :)
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019 edited

Yeah, I can't see it from here... :)

Darker, but not necessarily wider...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

But I like both straight lines with a bit of wobbly at the ends, and wobbly rows.