Idea for an Annual or Help so I can create maps like this!

I would love to see Annual done so I could make maps like the one in this Photo Ive Attacted. Ive been trying to work it out but can't seem to do it yet. For those of you who have Read any of Anne McCaffery's "Dragonriders of Pern" you should now what these maps are. I would love to be able to create the Floor plan veiw like the one labled "High Reaches Hold". The others Give you the Idea of versitility I would like. But Im having a hard time with it as I would think it would need to use City Designer, Dungeon Designer with floorplans. I've seen maps done with either one or the other but not a combination even though I believe it is suppose to be possible. I think that a style like this done not exactly like the drawings but like the color dungeon and city style would be great use to all Mappers out there. So I would really like to see This as a "ANNUAL ISSUE" for those of use that are not able to figure out how to use different addons in one map or or create a template to use to do this. I would love to see either a video tutorial to show how to create some thing like this or the Regular annual issue, either with templates to create these style in Color. Please help

Comments

• I think those maps could be made with Perspectives Pro. I also think that it would make a good Annual for the style.
  • Yes some of them could be done with perspectives, but Im talking about the the flat floor plan, where the cave systems are used as living and then outside the cliffside cave system there is a more like a villiage setting there. So I thought It would be good to combine dungeon and cities in a template to do it. Thats what Im getting at. But Im not getting anywhere with it or having any help. So a Annual done like this would be great, I would pay big time for someone to do Annual type issue that helped me so I create these type of maps. I would think it would be good for many mappers and gamers!
  • You are reffering to High Reaches Hold? I'm sure it can be done if we had a template with all appropiate sheets and layers for both CD3 and DD3. The programmer in me is telling me this should be the 1st step.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    This can be done with Perspectives, but needs some creative use of the available tools. The source maps products (Castles, Temples and Cities) contain some maps that are similar in concept, if not design.

It's difficult to create a ready-to-go style for this, as depending on the layout of the depicted stucture/area, the setup of sheets and layers might need to be pretty different.

I'm also reluctant to do it as an Annual style, because it would require Perspective to work, an add-on that is not so widely present as DD3 or CD3. We'll think about it.
  • Im not Referring to the the prospective type maps because perspectives is not up to date as is DD3 and CD3. Im referring to the High Reach Hold map.
  • It's the Hold where half is above ground next to a cliff and the other half is below ground inside the cliff. The structures are not on top of each other but side by side. That's why I said a good place to start is with a map template that allowed both City Designer 3 and Dungeon Designer 3 to function side by side. I think this style of maps is interisting and, with castles addon, a cartographer could make a map like Helm's Deep in the Lord of the Rings.
  • edited May 2009
    Is it that you're after ?

(unhide the MAP BORDER sheet to see your plan underneath)
    pern.FCW 126.8K
    edited May 2009
    Posted By: Raven_StarhawkeIm not Referring to the the prospective type maps because perspectives is not up to date as is DD3 and CD3. Im referring to the High Reach Hold map.
    Oops, sorry, I misread that. That's a fairly symbol style, that could certainly be recreated. You've got a good start from Joachim already.
    You might also want to look at the December issue of the 2007 Annual. It has everything you need to create your own style, which shouldn't be so hard with this one.
  • Yeah Thats my idea but I would like to see it more like in cave map style that was done in the dungeon designer 3 video tutorial for the cave systems and the outside the cliff done in the style of source maps: cities maps that are shown as examples and in the annual that included Pinnacle. And then use Joachims Idea of cliff rock in that partial map to make it look like cliff rock and face to delinate that your looking at a cut away view of the cliff, mountain to see the internal cave systems. This would be Kewl.

I will try the annual out and see if it helps me to create the style pack I want. I just know that Im not the expert that you guys creating the annual style packs are. Plus I've noticed in the Version 3 like CC3, DD3, and CD3 that you can not switch between them using the buttons and then use the basic tools located up in the top left corner as you could with the CC2 versions.

I'll work on seeing what I can do, but I just thought that you guys would be better able to do it as your the experts and it would be a great annual issue and many mappers could use it.
  • By the way Joachim I just get a big X when I un-hide the map border. but I like you cliff drawn lines look that was something I though could be drawn in freehand style to give it more the look. But Im not sure of what the X is ... lol
    Posted By: Raven_StarhawkeI'll work on seeing what I can do, but I just thought that you guys would be better able to do it as your the experts and it would be a great annual issue and many mappers could use it.
    It's certainly an option, thanks for the suggestion. I'll see whether we can do an Annual issue like that in the future - no promises at the moment though.
  • Should have remembered that a pic is not saved with a map...

The X is where I put your jpeg (the relevant part, that is). And I traced over it.
    I used lines, arcs, offsets, triming and fractal lines with a low fractal depth.

I don't really see how you can involve symbols in such a drawing except perhaps in ready made cliff faces.

I' ll look at the mentionned video asap.