Adding Fills to PNGs from a Deconstructed PDF map

Is it possible to add pngs of various layers that I have obtained by deconstructing a PDF of a map and then add CC3+ fills to it? For example I'll have a png file for the pine forest, deciduous forest, open woodland, agricultural areas, oceans, rivers and lakes, etc.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You cannot apply fill to a png image itself, but you can make a CC3+ entity from the image using the Trace or the Contours commands. The resulting entity can then be filled with whatever fill style you want.
  • Okay, trace I know some about. I'll have to do some research on the contours one.
  • you could also use the png as the background layer.
  • roy.dentonroy.denton Traveler
    edited October 2019
    Reading through the TUM I found this under contouring:

“If possible, the image should also be of a reasonably high resolution, it is difficult to give an exact size, but preferably around 2000px in the largest dimension. If the resolution is too low, it results in large pixels, which tends to give a blocky result.”

Is that 2000px per inch?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    inches are irrelevant. Everything has the same number of pixels per inch on a monitor.

Resolution in the sense described relates to the actual size of the image by the number of pixels along it's sides. So an image with only 200 pixels on each side would be small = low resolution. If you had an apple drawn on that tiny image it would look really blocky and not at all smooth. 2000px is ten times the size and the outline of the apple would be smoothly curved, despite being made up of nasty pointy square pixels. The resulting trace from the larger image will be much smoother.

However, do not be fooled into thinking that everything will be ok if you just enlarge your image. All that happens when a low res image is enlarged is that the 'blockiness' also gets enlarged. You need to start with a nice high res image.
  • More questions from the project I am trying to work on.

Is it possible to bring in an image of the rivers and contour lines, separately of course, and get them outlined or transformed into cc3+ items?

Or would I have to hand trace over them in cc3+ to get what I want?
    edited October 2019
    Answer is the same as above, really. Both the Trace and Contours commands can be used to convert an image into a CC3+ entity automatically.
  • Thanks for the above advice, contour is working great for this thus far. I am now trying to apply forest fills to the contours of forested areas.

Is now is that I am trying to add a “Terrain Default, Forest Mixed” fill style using change properties >> change like drawing tool >> selecting the forest mixed from the select drawing tool pop up. At this point I get this message: Selected tool can not be applied to other entities. What does this mean?

I used this same method for land and farmland fills. I learned this from the contour tutorial. I have tried this with Terrain Default, Forest Back and without.
    The forest tools are macro drawing tools. These can't be used with the Change Like Draw Tool command. This is because their behavior is controlled by the attached macro, and not simply a plain filled entity like most drawing tools. Instead, the macro fills the area with actual tree symbols.

If you want to fill an existing shape with trees like those tools do, you should instead use Draw --> Fill With Symbols (Which is the same command the macro for those drawing tools calls on)
  • I tried doing my rivers PNG as advised but can't seem to find the right tool to make it a CC3+ item. What tool can I use for rivers and lakes because I did that but it didn't work on my imported rivers and laked that I used the contoursm routine on.