How to load a new background when starting a new map

Hi everyone. I have searched through the tome and other places but I haven't yet found an answer to this question. When I am starting a new map, and I am going through the various new map dialogue boxes, when it comes to selecting a map background how can make a new one available to select? In other words, if I don't want to use the default choices but want to start with something like a parchment or water colour texture, how do I make that available as I start a new map. Alternatively, how could I replace the default one once I get going on a new map. I really like the texture that some of these offer and want to experiment. Thanks, and I apologize if this seems like a noob question.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The choices in that dialog are based on the fill styles defined in the template you picked. To modify the fills available in that list, you'll have to edit the template in question, and import additional fills to it.

Unless it is something you need often, it is probably easier to just change the fill of the background of the map after creating it though. First, you'll need to set up the new fill you want, either through Tools -> Import Bitmap Fill Styles, or just set it up manually by creating a new fill in the fill style dialog.
    Then, simply use change properties on the background to change it. It is just a regular polygon, and can be manipulated like any other entity. IT can sometimes be difficult to select because the map border and stuff gets in the way, bot on most templates it is on the sheet called BACKGROUND, so if you just temporarily hide all the other sheets it should be easily accessible.