Using an old mappa harnica map in cc3+

I am trying to get back to work on a project I was forced to step back from for a few years and would like to continue working on it in cc3+. The issue is that the last time I worked on this I was using mappa harnica with cc2 pro. I can open the map in cc3+ but the fills are not displaying properly. Does anyone know how I can get the mappa harnica fills to work in cc3+ without either reinventing the wheel or trying to add similar cc3+ fills, if any?
SirRooke

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2019
    It is probably the color palette.
    MH maps used their own palette, and back in the CC2 days, there were no way to embed the palette into the drawing, the files relied on the custom palette being available in the CC2 with the name fcw32.pal.
    Now, with CC3+ things are a bit easier with palette handling, so I recommend copying the ma palette into your CC3+ data directory, and naming it something else than the default, for example mh.pal. Then, you can simply load the palette by typing PALLOAD @mh.pal on the CC3+ command line to load the palette. (After doing that, you can also go into the drawing properties and attach the palette to the map, so you don't have to load it again for that particular map.
  • roy.dentonroy.denton Traveler
    edited October 2019
    I just tried this and could not find the command LOADPAL. It is not part of the cc3+ command set now. Checking into this more it seems I have to modify the palette colors myself to what the MH palette has since cc3+ seems to allow only one custom palette at a time.

Any other ideas of how to add my palette to cc3+ so I can save it to the picture and not worry about it in the future?
    Sorry, the correct command is PALLOAD, typo on my part. This command was added with the latest update to allow for CC3+ to support multiple custom palettes. With the old way with just a single custom palette, you could stick a palette file called fcw32.pal into the CC3+ data directory, and it would use this as the custom palette for all maps that didn't have an embedded palette, instead of using the default palette.
    But after PALLOAD came along, it became much easier to juggle multiple palettes.

As I said above, once you have the correct palette, just going into drawing properties and attaching it to the drawing will make that map allays use that palette. (Unless you manually load a new one with the PALLOAD command)
  • Great, that worked. Thanks for the help.
  • 2 years later
  • I followed the instructions (several times). New palette (harn.pal, downloaded from Roy Denton's website, the re-worked Mappa Harnica Tools) and installed in the CC3+ file along side the fcw32.pal. No change!

PALLOAD

right click

find the Harn.pal file

left click

open File/Drawing Properties/Click Attach to Drawing.

Save

Close Map

Re-open map

No Change!

What am I doing wrong?

edited March 2022

Please do not double post, it serves no purpose except splitting the answers from those who might try to help you and just cause confusion.

As for the issue, after using PALLOAD and loading the file, bring up the palette dialog to make sure the palette were loaded properly. There are some cases when a palette can reset to the one already built-in to the drawing (or the default palette if none), if this happens before you attach the palette, then it won't really do anything. If the palette dialog reveals that the palette was not loaded (i.e. it just shows the default), try using PALLOAD again. (You'll probably also see it visually in the map if the palette is correct or not without going to the dialog, as the Harn maps do look quite weird with the default palette. The map visual should update when the palette is loaded) I did run into the issue myself right now when I had to run it twice.

I also recommend NOT having a fcw32.pal file in the data directory, as this file is then used instead of the default palette, affecting every map that doesn't have an attached palette. This can cause added confusion and complexity when working with the palette. This file is a relic from the time before maps could have attached palettes. Just rename it to custom.pal or something if you wish to keep it around, you can then load it with PALLOAD when needed.