CC3+ and bitmap quality settings

I've recently ran into a problem that all of my tile bitmaps are set to use the VL quality bitmap and not the VH (very high) version. If I SET it to the very high file, the preview looks great. Hit ok, then immediately go back and the file VH setting I just made to use VH is gone.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    When you say you set it, what did you do to set it?
  • Posted By: LoopysueWhen you say you set it, what did you do to set it?
    Same filename, but VH. Sometimes I click the find and select, sometimes I typed the change in filename.
    Ok.

Try clicking the hourglass on the left hand toolbar. You should get a dialog called Display Speed.

Pick Fixed bitmap quality

Then from the subset pick Very High.

Ok this and rock the mouse wheel once to force a refresh.

You should now have everything at VH res, including the symbols.

The reason VH isn't set automatically is because it takes a bit of memory to continually refresh the screen with everything at full res and slows the map down by a noticeable amount - especially a large map with lots of symbols in it. So most of the time we work at the automatic setting to get things done, and then switch to VH to render the final image.
  • edited October 2019
    That makes sense. Now that I know that's what it's for I can do the work then toggle to VH. THANKS!

Perhaps you can help me resolve one other things that's been around for a while since we're at this...

https://i.imgur.com/FHzpuHu.png

You can see from that image there are some bitmaps that don't exist. I dunno if this was something I ran through a tutorial doing or if it broke over time after updating and just didn't notice at the time. I'd like to clean them out so they don't show anymore. Can you tell me where those are defined? This snapshot is from a brand new map I created just then... so it appears to be loading it for all by default and I'd just like to remove them... because everytime I make a new one they are there.

I did look for the image files they are pointing to "@Bitmaps\Tiles\Dungeon\Annual Munsons Mines\Blood 1_VL.PNG". I dont recall ever installing that annual but something obviously tried.

Once I know where this file and/or configuration is I'll add some of my own custom ones so win win!
    If you have missing bitmap files it's more likely that something has been moved from A to B on your system, or the references are absolute and the file can't find them relative to where it's saved.

How are you creating new files?

By that I mean which template are you using - so I can try to replicate the problem.
  • Posted By: LoopysueIf you have missing bitmap files it's more likely that something has been moved from A to B on your system, or the references are absolute and the file can't find them relative to where it's saved.

How are you creating new files?

By that I mean which template are you using - so I can try to replicate the problem.
    If it was just a matter of moved files I would have been able to find the one with a search but it doesn't exist on my system at all.

When I created the new map... file->new->dungeon->ss4 dungeon of schley and then defaults for it all till I could look at the bitmaps.
    Ok.

I have just created a new file the same way, and it triggered a recent memory as well.

I think those fills have been included on the actual template for some reason, even though they are not part of SS4. I had to remove them from one of the example maps I was working on so that they didn't cause any confusion to other users.

I don't know if we should really mess with the templates, which may be updated at some point by PF (who are only recently aware of these fills being there because I commented on them at the time I was making the example map about a fortnight ago), but if you want to remove them from the maps you have made on a map by map basis all you need to do is select the CA125 fill in the Fill Style Properties dialog (make sure its the one that is actually selected), and click the Delete button.

It's not a show-stopper so it won't be at the top of the list of things that need to be done, but I'm sure it will be sorted out eventually ;)
  • Wow, I have exactly the same problem with my city of Dun Fingolfin map, which I was ignoring till I had the city finished. All was working well, then all of a sudden, it didn't after I changed the bitmap to scaled with a different height and width. When I reverted back to non-scaled, mostly it remained 'blurred and not very nice.
    If you set the scale too large any fill will pixelate, whether its the VL version or the VH version of that fill.

The slightly confusing thing is that if you have only the VL resolution showing (low res set by the Display Speed) it will look pixelated no matter what you do, because the VL res bitmap fills are only about 20 pixels square. As you can imagine, 20 pixels isn't going to be clear at any size.