Annual 2019 - May, Details?

I am quite tempted to buy the current annual primarily for the May issue, though several other months are of interest too. However, looking at the content info, it says more details to be announced, can anyone clarify a little what is included. The following is all that is shown on the content page.

The map pack Beaumaris Castles includes

4 castle floorplans
1 castle 3D View
more details to be announced

Comments

• Beaumaris Castle, Sue created that one.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    From memory, I also did a surrounds map, and quite a lot of isometric symbols for people to make their own 3D versions of the castle from different vantage points. However, it is not a general purpose build-your-own-castle kit. The parts are very specifically bits and pieces of Beaumaris Castle. So you can re-make Beaumaris from 8 different angles - or altered versions of it.

The main point of the set was to rework just one of the castles contained in the Source Maps Castles collection, and to provide 4 very large battle maps of all the levels of the castle for people to use as base maps for their games.

All the fills are new, and can be used as a set in their own right for making new dungeon maps of any design, or mixed with existing fills.

There are a few new basic symbols, like portcullis, stairs and doors, but it was expected that existing dungeon symbols would work well with the set.
  • Thank you, I appreciate the response! I look forward to seeing it, both to appreciate and likely to draw lots of inspiration from. I am planning on making an altered version to act as the Castle of a Knightly Order for a game I play, and it sounds like there is plenty of scope to do that.

I think Beaumaris is one of the two I would have picked for such a project, the other being Krak des Chevaliers, and while I have been looking at the Source Maps Castles collection also because of all the floor plans, I think I will start with the Annual. I'm still fairly new to CC3+, CD3 and DD3, but enjoy making the few smaller maps that I have made and thought this would be a good project to step up to something a little larger.

Thanks again for the clarification, and your time!
    edited October 2019
    No worries :)

I was just having a break from editing colour gradients all day ;)

The Source Maps Castles is one of the older add-ons that Profantasy sell, so most of the graphics are vector. However, even if you prefer bitmaps to vector art, the SMC contains a lot more symbols than the annual does ;)

I believe... though I've never actually had enough time to look deeper than the surface... that SMC does actually have a sort of build-your-own-castle capability.
  • With the SMC's age, though I am certain I would still find symbols and such of use, and it does seem to allow you to design your own, it is actually more just the floor plans than anything else that draw me to that pack.

Such things seem hard to find and with my general interest in medieval history, think they could offer up some interesting ideas about how such structures were laid out.

Given I have some interest in a few of the other Annual months too, I think I will start there. Especially given how nice Beaumaris looks!
    Thank you :)

There are several annuals... in fact I don't recall one that doesn't have floorplans of some description or other... which you might find useful ;)

There are also lots and lots of maps you can use available in the Community Atlas here...

https://atlas.monsen.cc/
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    That's an error on the website (will be fixed) here is the correct content:

4 floorplans of Beaumaris Castle
    1 isometric view of Beaumaris Castle
    1 surroundings map of Beaumaris Castle
    101 floorplan symbols in 3 catalogs
    30 perspective symbols in 4 catalogs
    33 new bitmap textures
    1 new symbol catalog master filter and 9 new symbol catalog settings
    1 4-page mapping guide