Closed: Will not fix: Changing large number of lines to path does not work.

I am tracing a very large and detailed map from bitmaps of the actual paper maps. I have come to realize that for some reason trying to "line to path" more than appr. 35000 individual lines (entities) will not work. What will happen is that the CC3+ will create perhaps 2-3 separate paths, unfortunaly trying to combine the paths will cause the sw to crash.

I do not want to overly simplify the drawing, as it is traced, and simplification would not match up perfectly with the real maps.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    35000 nodes is more than CC3+ manages to handle properly. In general, I recommend staying well below 15000.
    While CC3+ do have some nice capabilities, it isn't really intended to make large scale maps that also have an amazing detail level as you zoom in, that is better handled by creating individual close-up maps of smaller areas.
  • With my HW + SW setup the maximum limit seems to be 32 000 entities. I split the continent into two parts, which both are below this limit (the other one just barely with 31850 lines), and made both their own polygons. When both are displayed the continent appears as whole.

I wonder what actually defines the limit to 32K, and why there needs to be any limit at all? Is it coming from OS (Win10), FastCAD, or CC3+ ?
  • CC3+ is a 32-bit program. Windows isn't too happy with lots of fractilization in a map.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    If I understand correctly, the 32k node limit comes from the GDI system used by Windows for drawing graphics. CC3+ is based on the FastCAD 6 engine, which uses the Windows GDI system as the basis for rendering its graphics. Some commands have different limits on the number of nodes allowed (e.g. the FREEHAND command allows a maximum of 30000 nodes to be entered). In this case, the LTP command does not appear to correctly limit the maximum number of lines being joined and will allows too many lines to be selected and processed. It should probably issue a warning about an attempt to process too many entities.