Solved: Unable to use some symbols.

Hello, slowly progressing with my eternity project of mapping world of Greyhawk with CC. I recently noticed that I have a problem with inserting symbols. A long time ago I reached the point where I could start placing town, village, fort, castle etc. settlement symbols on a certain area of the map which were ready for it. I used the old WoG Mapping Symbols.FSC that someone was kind enough to create back in early 2000.

I have since progressed with the geography, and would like to start to place settlement symbols more widely. To my surprise, although I can see all WoG symbols in the catalogue, the only symbols I can insert to the map are the ones which are already present there.

Simple example, I have inserter fort, castle, mine symbols long a go to the map. I can still add more mines, castles and forts, but if I try to insert capital or town with a port symbol, they simply will not be placed. I can select them from catalogue, but once I move the cursor to the map area nothing is displayed. I also tried "delete" command selecting the same are to see if the symbols would be there, just too small to see, but that was not the case.

Any idea what might be causing this, and how to get past it?

I am running with 3,87 version of CC3+, and updating to latest version is not an option for me (due to unresolved issues with large bmp linked to the map making it crash instantly if I try to work with the map on the latest patch-> had to downgrade back to older patch).

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2019
    That sounds weird. I cannot think of anything that could cause that. Could you post or whisper me a copy of the map and the symbol catalog, so I can try to reproduce the behavior.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I have sometimes had this problem in the last couple of months with all kinds of different maps. Usually it's straight after I pick a catalogue that isn't part of the template style. And usually closing and restarting CC3 cures it for me.
  • SoturiSaurusSoturiSaurus Newcomer
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for the input. This template comes from early 2000, and the only catelogue used with it has been the WoG one. I have tried restarting the sw, and even computer and doing everything I can think of. Doesn't help. If I make a new test map the symbols work just fine.

EDIT: This is weird, now after tinkering with the computer (turning it on and off again, opening several previous versions of the map to see what is the last version where the symbols work), I can add previously unused symbols, and the problem seems to have disappeared, at least for the time being.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2019
    Great. Let us know if it turns out to be more than an isolated happening.