How do you draw an arrow?

When I draw a line, how do I add an arrowhead to it? I can't find this in the help files, there are references to changing arrowhead styles, and commands, but how do you actually do it? Thanks...

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2019
    Right click the line tool and select line with arrow to draw a line with an arrowhead (The head will appear at the starting end of the line)
    If the head doesn't look good (too large, to small [invisible], etc), change the style with Tools --> Set Properties --> Arrow Style (affects all arrows in drawing)

If you own WWII Interactive atlas, you also have the better looking unit arrows, to use them, switch to the WWII add-on menu, and you'll find the Unit Arrows options under the WWII menu.
  • Thanks, that works! I kept going to the menu Draw > Lines, rather than use the Lines button...
  • Personally, I've struggled to get good-looking automated arrows in CC3+ no matter how I've adjusted the Arrow Style settings. Now, I just add an appropriate triangular polygon to the end of the line that needs an arrowhead on it. If I need multiple similar arrows in a CC3+ drawing, I just copy and paste the original (or adapt it for things like an arrow on a curving line, say).
  • 25 days later
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    How do I stop the line obliterating the arrowhead when I increase the line width?

I've tried selecting the arrowhead, but it seems to be an integral part of the line.

I need the line width because I'm doing a migration map on an FT3 export, and you can't see the lines unless they are a reasonable thickness.
  • I don't know of a way to get a line width without it also overpowering the line point.

However, I came up with the idea some years ago of making just arrowheads for path markers, and then putting a plain line on them.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Use ASTYLE to configure the arrow head style to increase it's size. Note that this is a mapwide setting.
    Thanks Jim and Remy :)

Remy - that allows me to make the arrowhead larger, but the line still overpowers it.

I think I will probably do the heads separately again - like I did on another map of the same series.
    After all that, I don't think it really needs arrows.

What do you think?
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Can you make the arrow head on a separate line (with a smaller width) and then put that on top of the other main line.
    Or just draw an arrow head and place it where you need it.
    I asked what people thought over on the FB page, and the opinion was unanimously in favour of some kind of arrow, so I drew one and pasted it onto the ends of all the existing lines.
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler
    I would have used a combination of arrows created by the WARROW command, and would not look as good as yours in this application.
    Those are just a 2 segmented line with a width of 60 units (its a huge map - an FT3 export), with a circle of 60 units diameter rounding each end.

I got the idea from the way the roads are constructed when you use CITY in CD3 - the streets are straight lines with circular 'ball joints' and rounded ends.
  • Sue, your problem is exactly why I don't use the automated arrow commands any longer, only adding my own arrowhead to a simple line when necessary. I'd guess it's a fault with how the program operates, possibly something like that which also creates huge problems for drawing anything other than solid lines, as highlighted again very recently on this topic elsewhere on the Forum. Ralf noted there that the dashed line problem is due to the FastCAD software engine, thus isn't resolvable, despite being endlessly frustrating for anyone used to working with other drawing software, where such dashed lines (and also lines with arrowheads) are very easily deployed.
    It's not a huge problem. It took me all of a minute to draw an arrowhead.

As for other software - its all very much a case of 'swings and roundabouts' where little details like this are concerned. They all have their little quirks, and none of them are perfect. I find, however, that CC3 is more perfect than most for the job it has been designed to do.