FT3 map has Void/Null data that Normalize Data won't remove. Can anybody suggest a solution?!

I've already put a lot of hours into this map, and I'm at a loss as to how this happened or how to fix it. Somehow my map has gotten void pixels which normalize data does not remove.

I've gone back and forth editing this map in FT3 and Wilbur, the void is there in both Wilbur and FT3. When, in FT3, I try to remove it by "set altitude" I instead create a larger black void. Which normalize data does remove, except for the original void pixels.

Does anyone have any clue what I can still try to remove these? It's just a few, but for what I'm doing I cannot have any void pixels on the map.

Since the forum only lets me upload one image, here's an imgur album of what happens when trying to do the set altitude command: https://imgur.com/a/8Dl1eSL

If anyone can suggest something that might work, that'll be an immense help. The only other alternative I've got is to try and redo all my mapping work from scratch and hope whatever caused the bug doesn't happen twice...
bug.png 219.9K

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    What version of FT3 are you using?

I can most likely fix it for you if you can put it somewhere that I can download it and then whisper the location to me.
  • I'm using 3.0.21.

Thanks, I'll try and find a place to upload it and whisper you the file!
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited September 2019
    Ah, I see. You're using an external MDR file and then using FT to do stuff with that file, correct? If so, that would explain why using normalize in FT didn't do anything: operations in FT (like normalize) only operate on data in the world file, not an any external files.

You can fix your MDR file yourself in Wilbur using a non-obvious technique: use an Auto-rotate Add brush with a value of 0, which will wipe out invalid floating point values as you paint over the surface without changing other things. Click the Paint icon on the toolbar and set up your brush as shown below, paying special attention to the Value, Operation, and Auto-Rotate fields. You can then get an appropriate width and height for your painting operation and paint over the damaged areas. The output will be 0 altitude, meaning that you'll probably want to paint over that area with a regular brush, but that should be easy enough to do (the paint tools are a little twitchy).

I'll try to remember to get a full-surface normalize command made for Wilbur one of these days and possibly include an option to fill such place with pits.
  • NFBNFB
    edited September 2019
    Ah, yes, you're right, of course! I would need to have done a burn-into-surface first and then it could normalize data, right?

Your fix in Wilbur worked perfectly! After fixing the data, I just used the smug and blur tool and I can't even find it anymore. Thanks ton!!!

I don't know how exactly the original problem snuck in, but I can give you the half-story:

I'm largely following the famous Israh tutorial. Except that, at least for me, the incise flow commands it uses in FT causes a lot of errors at the map wrap.

I try to put the map so it's mostly on the ocean, but having properly wrapping maps is important to me. So what I do is I basically do the same thing twice, for the same map, except with the map wrapping at opposite ends of the globe (using toroidal rotation in Wilbur). Then I normalize data in FT, convert to mdr and in Wilbur I take the 'front' map and load a thin strip of the 'back' map on top of the wrap-seam.

I've done this for a few maps and before it worked perfectly, or I thought it did anyways. But this time, I think it must've been at the loading of the 'back' map parts onto the 'front' map that somehow errors got copied over from the 'back' map.

Either way, that might just be a tangent now. Thanks a ton again, this really saved me a lot of time trying to find some work-around or other kind of fix myself! <3