Cultivated Ground Symbols

I need to add a few symbols to indicate there is cultivated ground in a region of my map. I don't need a fill style, just a few symbols. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    There's a cultivate ground symbol in every vector art pack, and each of those contains at least 2 different styles

I'm doing something with SS1 right now so this is something I just happen to know - there may be other places but I haven't got that far just yet.

How about showing us an extract of your map so that we can suggest the best match for it?
  • I'll have a hunt through my PF files - I have SS1 & 2 - and see if I can locate it; thanks. I'm preparing the map for a friend very specifically to a game design he is working on, so I doubt it will be of much interest to the rest of the forum and he may well not wish to have the map revealed. If there's something else I work on that looks like it might need a similar symbol package, I'll put it up.

I did a large quantity of battle diagrams for a series of books on the Peninsular War, where I used bitmap fills to produce cultivated ground and I'd be happy to show some of those if there's any interest.
  • I am trying to upload a JPG file of one of my battle maps (Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo 1812) but the system keeps reporting an error.
    That looks like a great map, Mike. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Is it in the same style as the one you want the cultivation symbols for?

I'm a bit confused, you see, since the map you are showing seems to already have cultivation symbols (a fill in this case). Are you looking for something that is a symbol instead of this fill?
  • This does seem something of a "how long's a piece of string" request, without knowing what the map style will be, when it's set timewise, or if specific crop types could be used (such as an ear of wheat). Something like three handdrawn, brown lines might work as a shorthand ploughed field indicator for cultures that used/use ploughing routinely, while an obvious piece of farm machinery (tractor or combine harvester, say) from a free font might work to indicate modern tilled land. Neither of these would need a specific CC3+ symbol as such.

And I agree with Sue; it's a nice map (though I'm not sure what a lot of the unkeyed symbols are meant to be showing), but it doesn't seem to need any fresh cultivated land symbols.
    If you wish to copy a symbol from one map to another its easiest if you have both open at the same time. You can do that by double clicking the file of the second map.

Use either CTRL+C or Edit-->Copy.

Then select the things you want to copy, right click and do it. Once the pink selection marks have disappeared the copying has been done and the objects should be on your clipboard.

When you move to the map you want to paste them in use either Edit-->Paste or CTRL+V. Then the objects will appear in outline on your cursor and you can paste them where you wish.
  • edited September 2019
    You're absolutely right. As I say, I have now overcome the problem by creating some new bitmap fills myself and importing them so that I can use them in a Poly. These are not for the map I posted here but they do use the same system I used for that map. I was hoping to avoid the work by finding a ready made symbol I could use (I'm pants at making symbols!) so I thought I'd ask the question. The period of the map I'm making is around 1700 so it wouldn't be suitable for combine harvesters although I could maybe use a horse plough - thanks for the pointer.

The siege map was done for a military history book series and many of the items not shown in the key were explained by text related to the map. Also, publishers don't seem to like over-complex map keys - the reader tends to have some knowledge of the subject and can normally work out what the map is showing. I'd be happy to explain any parts that are obscure to a non-military reader - I can get very boring in that way :-)

Unfortunately, I can't show the map I'm working on, as my friend may well want to publish it as a game when it's finished. Hopefully, I've now resolved my immediate problem and can just say thanks for being willing to help. Sometimes these things are difficult to explain and I think the confusion was probably of my making.

By the way, I just encountered a small problem. I want to copy an arrangement of symbols from one CC3+ map to another. I've followed the manual instructions but, when I try to paste the symbols into the second map, I'm told the clipboard is empty - ???
  • Posted By: LoopysueIf you wish to copy a symbol from one map to another its easiest if you have both open at the same time. You can do that by double clicking the file of the second map.

Use either CTRL+C or Edit-->Copy.

Then select the things you want to copy, right click and do it. Once the pink selection marks have disappeared the copying has been done and the objects should be on your clipboard.

When you move to the map you want to paste them in use either Edit-->Paste or CTRL+V. Then the objects will appear in outline on your cursor and you can paste them where you wish.
    It could be that I am not waiting long enough for the copy to be made. The method you describe is the one I followed but I hadn't appreciated the need to wait. I'll try again :-)
    I missed a bit!

You have to give CC3 a copy origin. That's either a single click in the middle of the items you are copying so that you can place them easily, or enter a pair of coordinates 0,0 (zero comma zero) on the keyboard and press enter if you want to paste them in exactly the same place in the destination map (where you need to type the same coordinates and enter again to paste the copied objects).

Sorry about that! I think I must be a bit tired.
  • LOL! Thanks, Sue, this now makes sense of the message I got in the command line which I couldn't quite work out. Put your feet up and have a nice cup of tea (oh, and set the alarm for 30 minutes) :-)
  • I am trying to let my friend look at the map I'm doing for him in the Viewer. I suddenly realised I have been using CC3+ to produce the map and the viewer will only work properly with CC3 (my bad - this was discussed in forum earlier). The problem is that I don't know how to convert the CC3+ map into the old CC3 format without re-doing a load of work. Is it possible?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    It is not a supported scenario, but it is possible with one important assumption: The map style must be available under CC3 as well. For example, if the map was made with the Mike Schley Overland style, that style doesn't exist under CC3, so it won't be possible (Without converting it to another style first, which is quite a bit of work). Since you want to view it in the viewer, it is a bit more limited, since none of the annuals and such are available, and neither are all add-ons.

The conversion step itself is easy though,
    run the REPLACEIMAGENAMESDWG command on the command line, and use @ for the text to replace and # as the replacement text.
    This will replace the references to the data directory in CC3+ with the installation directory in CC3/Viewer. Note that the map will continue to work in CC3+, but the multi-resolution system won't work properly, so it will use the same resolution no matter if you are zoomed far out or far in. (It will work in CC3 though)

Note that you will get problems with the effects though, I don't think this can be fixed other than deleting them and recreating them using CC3.
  • Sorry, Remy, I don't use the command line a great deal and I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly. I type in the REPLACEIMAGENAMESDWG command, press , type in @, press , type in # and finally press ? Or have I missed something. Having tried this, it doesn't seem to have had much effect (none, in fact) when I load the file into CC3.

I think I've done something wrong, because the effects and resolution seem to be fine when I put the file back into CC3+.
    Yea, that is correct.

You can check if was executed correctly by running the LISTIMAGENAMESDWG command [takes a few seconds to complete before it dispays the result] (you can run it both before and after REPLACEIMAGENAMESDWG to check the difference). There is a lot of data in the output of that command, but one of the things you should see in there is the path/filename of every image in the drawing. If you run it before the replace command, all file names should start with @ (ex: @Symbols\Maps\CC3\Cartouches\Scale Bar_VH.PNG), while after you run the replace command, they should all start with # (ex: #Symbols\Maps\CC3\Cartouches\Scale Bar_VH.PNG). If that looks fine, then everything is as it should, just save the file and open it in CC3.

If it doesn't work in CC3, double check that you haven't used a style you don't have accessible in CC3 (Such as Mike Schley), and if it requires an add-on, that add-on needs to be installed in CC3 too.
  • Things are starting to become surreal! I got an error message: "Campaign Cartographer does not understand the command LISTIMAGENAMESDWG". I assume I should have put the command into CC3+ instead of CC3 as I did? When I put it into CC3+ it recognised the command and gave me the long list of images but I don't feel it has told me anything useful. Can you tell me if the procedure (which I described above) that I used to implement REPLACEIMAGENAMESDWG was what I should have done or did I get something wrong?

I fear I'm entering into realms in which I am out of my comfort zone. I'll persevere a little longer but I think I may just go back, fire up CC3 and do the work again. It's a mistake of my making and I have learned something from the experience already: THINK BEFORE YOU MAP!.
    These commands aren't really intended for the average user, so being a bit out of your comfort zone isn't unexpected. As I said, converting a map this way is an unsupported scenario, CC3+ has features not available in CC3. If you feel uncomfortable doing this procedure, I recommend you don't do it.

These commands only work in CC3+.

Based on your description, it sounds like you did run the replace command correctly.
  • OK, Remy. Thanks for your help. On the basis of what you say, I guess I'll bite the bullet and do the work again having learned my lesson. I appreciate your involvement.