Map of China

For a research project I'm working on, I need to make several maps of China during various points in history. I'd like to superimpose the modern province outlines over these maps. I'm wondering what the best way to do this is. I've seen vector maps of China online, either free or for sale, but I don't know how to get that into CC3+. Or is this not the best approach? Is there a better way to do this?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Since you need the political borders, I don't think there is a direct CC3+ source for this, so I'd probably go for finding one in an image format (preferably a transparent png with just the outline) and insert that as an image into the drawing, adding some transparency to it if needed.
    As for maps in vector formats, CC3+ can open files in AutoCAD format in addition to it's own, so if the file is a dwg/dxf file, that should also work. CC3+ doesn't support all the features of more modern versions of autocad, but if it is just a vector outline of a provice, that is probably just lines/paths anyway, and should be fine.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited September 2019
    I had a success of a kind by opening a vector image in Inkscape (free vector editor) then using Save as... to save it as a .dfx vector image the other day. They are a little time-consuming to edit if they are overly complicated, so start with a nice simple version. The dfx file format is a CAD file. I just tried it out of curiosity and it worked.

You can then import it like any bitmap file, and it will paste as a grouped vector image you can then scale and use effects on just like any other polygon drawn in CC3.