Adding Lights

Hey Folks,

I'm new to the product and I've spent a few days searching through the forums and the internet for an answer and I've not had a lot of luck.

I created a dungeon in DD3+, and I decided to add a lighting effect. I added the lighting effect via the menu, and a Red X showed on my map at the point of placement. When I activated the Sheets, nothing changed.

When I looked in the product help for AddLight it stated that a file from Issue 19 (I think) is required for this to work. I could not find which annual, issue 19 is in or if this would definitively solve my lighting problem. I'll be happy to pick it up if someone can point me in the right direction.

From what I've read, there's a bit of work that needs to be done on the various sheets to make lighting effects render correctly, if anyone has a great resource for dealing with lighting effects I'd be interested in that as well.

Thanks!

Comments

• Issue 19 should be the second year (12 per year).

And so it is.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You don't strictly need that annual issue anymore. When lights where initially added, it was through that issue, but the functionality is baked into DD3 for CC3+. The old issue do add some symbols with built in light sources, making it a bit easier to place them, and it do also contain documentation on the use of lights, so it is still useful though.

The X mark that is placed when you place lights show the location of the light, you can turn these off from Dungeon --> Lights --> Hide Light Symbols.

But yes, the use of lights do require some sheet setup. Basically, you need to set up the Wall Shadow, Point Light Setup on the sheets that contain entities that will cast shadows, and the Wall Shadow, Point Light Setup on the final shadow-casting sheet.

Here is an Example map you can look at. It is very simple, with just 2 lights, and the walls blocking those lights.
  • Thank you for such a prompt reply. I'll check out the example and the second annual when I get home.

Thank you!