SS5 final version, terrain and exportingin

Hi,

Link to an exported map
https://www.deviantart.com/enerla/art/Small-town-map-810278720

For terrain sometimes we have to have "large areas" outside of the map border to keep the direction of slope similar to what we want. Printing isn't restricted to map border. If we want to print a large map, we might want to export the map into a very large PNG file, like 5000*4000 or similar. In this case it will have some issues with rendering the slope as you can see on the linked image.

I think it should be possible to limit printing to map border, and also this rendering artifact at png export should be investigated and fixed...

But I am wondering if anyone would know a good workaround for this issue?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't know anything about printing hard copy, but you can easily limit a render to the map border using the Options in the "Save as..." dialog when you export to any of the bitmap formats.

Then you could print the bitmap like you would print any other bitmap.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    To get rid of such artifacts outside the map border, make sure to expand the white screen outside the map border to cover them up.
    Then, when printing, make sure you have zoomed in so that the actual map fills the window, and use the 'Active Window' print option instead of 'Everything'. (Or, if you plan to print that map multiple times, set up a named view instead and print that, saves you from zooming each time)
  • TheElfTheElf Newcomer
    It still doesn't help against the artifacts on PNG export (seen on the linked image), but I will try covering the outside area and printing option then :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Those "lines" happen because CC3+ isn't rendering the entire image in a single pass, and effects defined in another section than the one currently being processed won't be taken into account. Exporting a high-resolution image is a memory-intensive operation, which is why rendering them in parts are required.

Most modern computers have enough memory to increase the pass size however, which will reduce the chance of this happening.
    Try running the EXPORTSETMPPP command, and enter 40000000 as the value (make sure you get all 7 zeroes). This will cause CC3+ to render the maps in MUCH larger chunks, resulting in much fewer passes (If 40000000 gives you problems/crashes, try 20000000 instead)