Alternate sprites CC3+

hello everyone!

I have a Question,
I want to Draw a Map but the Sprites, which are in the CC3+ for Mountains, trees etc dont really fit my taste, so I would like to know if there is some Way to put other Sprites for the Objects in this Map tool? (like something from the Internet or something)
It would really help me out, if someone could answer this :)

have a nice evening!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think you might mean symbols?

I've never heard of sprites in a mapping context ;)

American's sometimes call them "icons", which makes me cringe and grate my teeth because the historic meaning of 'icon' is a holy item originating from the East of Europe consisting most usually of a wooden block painted with a religious scene in tempera (which is pigment ground and mixed with egg white) and then decorated with gilt... but the general European word for something like a mountain or a tree pasted into a CC3 map is "symbol".

Anyway!

I digress :)

You can make any symbol you like from any suitable png file by importing it through the Symbol Manager. That's a menu item. It is best to make small collections of related symbols in a single folder created under the Symbols folder here:

C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols

Most people create a folder called User in that Symbols folder and then make a subdirectory inside it naming things like "Trees", "Mountains", or a particular style they've purchased or created for themselves.

Once you have imported the symbols through the Symbol Manager you can select them in the same place and save them as something called a catalogue. The catalogue is usually saved in the parent folder alongside the folder containing the symbols - in this case the Symbols\User folder.

More details on how to do this can be gleaned from the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, which is well worth the purchase, or you can watch one of the many videos on how to do it. This one by Joe Sweeney (while now quite old) is still relevant today and very easy to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Lhz-QLpX0
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Also, don't forget that CC3+ comes with several different map styles by default. If you don't like one style, perhaps one of the others are more suitable to your tastes?

There is also the symbol sets you can purchase that gives you additional styles, and many annual issues also provides new styles.

All of these are paid items obviously, but the advantage is that they come in cohesive styles ready to use.

And of course, you have the free community packs. They are a great free resource, but they are mostly focused on floorplan/city level stuff, although there is some overland stuff there too (which I guess is what you are after since you talk about trees and mountains)
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    Not to discount Loopysue's suggestion of the Tome of Ultimate Mapping (which is a really good one), there is also a section in the CC3+ User Manual called 'SYMBOLS AND SYMBOL MANAGEMENT' that might help you out.