Eastern Breland in Eberron

First map I've really done with CC3+. Using this for a DnD 5e campaign set in Eberron and the region is Eastern Breland for anyone that knows the setting.

Overall the experience was pretty good, I felt it was a little difficult because the region is mostly farmland or plains and I don't really like the grassland tool very much. I'd love for the central green texture to have some more variation rather than the uniform green and any insight on how I might be able to achieve that would be helpful.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    The colour of a fill can be changed by adding a Hue/Saturation Lightness sheet effect to the sheet the fill is on.

This wouldn't help you a lot if you only have one sheet for the green area (I shall assume this is the land texture on the LAND sheet). If you want to vary the colour of that green it is easy enough to do. Just add another sheet below the LAND sheet in the list of sheets, add an Edge Fade Inner sheet effect to it, and then a Hue/Saturation Lightness effect after that.

Making sure the land fill and the new sheet are both active, pick the freehand tool and draw the outlines of patches where you would like the green to vary. Then right click the Fractalise tool and pick Path to Poly and apply this to all those outlines you just drew.

In the first instance these will vanish, since you haven't yet used the HS/L effect to change any colour properties. So open the sheets and effects dialog again, pick the HS/L effect and click edit. Then start playing with the controls until you get those patches to be a slightly different green. There is a handy APPLY button in the editing panel you can use to make CC3 show you what they will look like without having to continually open and close the editing panel or the sheets and effects dialog.

There are lots of other fills you can use other than the grassland fill (which does look quite attractive if you turn it a similar green to the green of the land). Open the Fill Styles dialog (click the current fill in the box at the top) and open the dropdown box to view them all. I have a personal preference for the marsh fill, which I tend to use for everything from lush green grass to the dry dead grass near deserts and up mountains - using a series of new sheets to bend the colour to suit.
  • Thanks for the reply. I'm mostly shooting in the dark with changes like that. Have been playing around more and more with it
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It looks good :)

Maybe if you make just the settlement symbols a little larger it would feel a bit less empty?