How to remove/resize overlay grid?

I'm using CC3+

I drew a grid overlay for my map and I can't find a way to resize it or remove it. I know I could hide the sheet that contains the grid, but is there a way to remove it completely?

Comments

• edited August 2019
    Hi Blckassn,

Hide every sheet except the grid sheet. Then just click the erase tool and select the grid. Then click the "do it" text and that should remove the grid. Then turn all of your sheets back on and your grid should be gone.
    Winchester
  • Why didn't I think of this... I was looking in all of the grid settings trying to find a way to turn it off. I guess that's what I get for trying to work on something so early in the morning.

Thank you!
  • Yup, we all do that. We don't have a club or anything, but it just might exist anyway.
  • If you are well into the mapping process, you can just delete the grid from the overlay list, then push the "Hex Grid" button on the left hand tool bar. It will create a new overlay, hold your previous settings (in most cases), and you can set the specifications, push OK and observe the grid. If you don't like it, push "Undo" and try new numbers.

If you are creating the grid for the first time, just use the "Undo" button to go back. No need to delete in that case.

I do this all the time since I create game maps from real maps and I want to make sure the hex grid supports both the counter size I will be using as well as the scale that I want (e.g. a 1/2 inch counter and a scale of 1 Hex = 1km).
  • I normally use the undo button, but for some reason it wasn't working. I'm not sure if i did other stuff after it or what happened, that's why I was trying to find a way to delete it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    There are only a very limited number of undo operations. About 5 if I remember correctly, so its very easy to run out of undo. I haven't worked out for myself if there is a way to increase that number, so I've adapted my workflow over the years to simply delete what I did wrong instead of trying to undo it.

Also, if you save your map you can't go back by using undo.

Did you manage to sort your grid out?

There are ways to turn a grid on and off without having to hide the sheet every time. Most templates have a LAYER called HEX/SQUARE GRID. If you change the properties of your grid and move it to this special layer you can then freeze and/or hide it. Whether it is visible or not, freezing is always a good idea, since you don't want to be constantly accidentally picking the grid when you are working with it visible.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LoopysueAbout 5 if I remember correctly, so its very easy to run out of undo.
    Seems to be 12.
    LOL! Thanks Remy. It just feels like 5 when the one you can't undo is the 13 action.

Is there a way to alter this to make it more like 50?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I don't think so. Personally, I rarely need more than one, If it is something further back than that, I usually just fix that particular thing using the appropriate commands instead of undoing everything else to get to it. If you are trying something and are unsure if this is the way to go, simply save your map first, then if you want to go back, quickly reload the map, it will be the top one in the recent map list in the file menu.
    This is the way that I have adapted to doing things since becoming a CC3 mapper, though it was jolly hard to remember at first. I think its because all the bitmap editors have at least 50 undo actions available. We get used to it and expect everything to be the same ;)
  • edited August 2019
    @blckassn glad I could help.

Yeah, freezing the grid in perspectives 3 has never worked for me. I've tried many times to freeze the grid from the layers menu and no matter what, I can still select it, delete it, mess it up some other way, and generally have the grid become my worst enemy. So I've had to adapt the way I make perspectives so I don't select the stupid grid when I want to move/erase/change something in perspectives 3.
    Maybe the grid is on the wrong layer?
  • Do it the way I do. Save as map01_001, do some work, save as map01_002, etc. Then if you want to back up further than undo, just load the older map.
  • Posted By: LoopysueMaybe the grid is on the wrong layer?
    I never mess with what layer it is on. I only opened the layers to try to freeze the grid so I could not interact with it. So if it is on the wrong layer then CC3+ put it there. It's been something I've been fighting with since Perspectives 3 came out. Thanks for trying to help Sue.