Resize Drawing Area - a couple of questions

When you use the Resize Drawing Area tool in the File menu, what exactly are you resizing?

The reason I ask is that when I resized a map from the default 1000 x 800 map units to 1100 x 900 map units to make room for a title, that isn't the size I ended up with. I got 1209.999999 on the long side extent.

Then I noticed that the green lines marking the map border had not been scaled at all, and lay well within the actual extent of the map - the map having a relatively large screen of parchment texture.

Not happy with the size of the map I tried scaling it again, but to my surprise the box opened up showing the original 1000 x 800 map unit dimensions, and when I input 1050 x 850 it made the map larger again than it already was.

So I clearly don't understand how to use this tool properly!

What am I doing wrong?

The map I was trying to rescale had a map border that was smaller than the actual extent of the map. Was this part of the problem?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    In addition to this I couldn't undo any of the scaling, so to get back to the original size and start again I had to re-open the file without saving it.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Since the scale of a map is not embedded in the actual map (all maps are basically unlimited in size), the command has to base it's assumptions on the size of the map border. The actual stuff resized is also dependent on the layer it is located on. It might be that the map you are using simply doesn't have these items in the correct/expected locations, which is why it might fail.

The intent of the command is to resize the map border (both graphical and the hidden/actual one), the screen and the map background.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thanks Remy :)

That explains a lot. The real map border was much smaller than the extent of the map, which itself included the width of the screen as an extension of the parchment the map was made on.

Even so, something must have been wrong because the map border (the real one) wasn't scaled at all. Was that why when I tried to scale the map a second time the original size came up in the dialogue?

The map in question is the Pirate Isles from CA145 - Jan 2019 annual issue. I was trying to add a map title. I've done it now, but a really awkward way around.